Call Me Fishmeal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rambo2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings from the beautiful island of Manhattan. I am Rambo2. Surprised? So am I. I have just finished my PADI home study and will be taking my open water in 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic. For this, I am totally stoked. Always thought diving might be fun although my only real exposure was Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges in black and white (I would be an underwater crime fighter - every week he managed to get into a fight underwater - how is that possible - he must have hung out with the wrong crowd). I was never a beach or water person (my idea of fun was Amsterdam for 2 weeks) but that changed after I spent last winter living on a beach in southern Mexico; Playa Zipolite in Oaxaca. An amazing break in the hippie space time continuum. I did a lot of borrowed snorkeling and when I got back to NY bought my own mask, fins and snorkel. Went on two snorkel trips and decided to start scuba diving. New York is a complicated place but my commitment was to get my certification before the winter. I am doing that now! I decided I would wait until after the trip to (more intelligently) buy a regulator and bcd and wet or exposure suit but could research and could/should buy a computer before the trip. I know I want a wrist computer. For now I am considering a Suunto Zoop and (I seem to be drawn to Suunto - Damn you LeisurePro) a Suunto spg and Suunto compass console or act my age (63) and get a Suunto Vyper Air with sender. Is that all good can't go wrong stuff? What would you do if you were me?
Dave

Haha love the title of your thread.
Welcome Dave! Congrats on your trip, I hope your course goes well! If I was in the same situation I think I would wait and see how I liked diving first before putting all that money into the equipment. If I had to recommend one piece of equipment to get first, it would be a dive computer. Best wishes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom