Calling a Dive before you even get in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently call of a dive shortly after hitting the water. I was uncomfortable and I called it. I was told that I did the right thing and divers have the right to call a dive. Well, now I have someone saying that I'm a dangerous diver. Really?? I had a diving accident two years ago. Since then I've made numerous succesful dives but I'm being bad mouth over one incident in 5 years.

I recently call of a dive shortly after hitting the water. I was uncomfortable and I called it. I was told that I did the right thing and divers have the right to call a dive. Well, now I have someone saying that I'm a dangerous diver. Really?? I had a diving accident two years ago. Since then I've made numerous succesful dives but I'm being bad mouth over one incident in 5 years.

without knowing any details of your situation, I would suggest not going to war with this person. I would pull them aside in the near future and have a calm discussion about their concerns, and address their concerns. Showing that you learned from your accident should go a long way.

I had an interesting experience a few years back. My husband and I got lost on the way to the dive site, and got into a furious argument about it. By the time we got there, everybody else was already getting in the water, because we were late. We geared up anyway, and tried to go diving. You should see the video my husband shot -- I look like a bad OW student. I called the dive about 15 minutes into it because things were just horrible. The only problem with the dive was that my head wasn't in it -- my head wasn't anywhere that had to do with diving.

If your head isn't in the game, you shouldn't be diving. You don't need any other reason. And you don't need to explain to anybody what the problem is. I think Ron is right that, if you lose out on a dive for some reason that's something you can address (getting more comfortable with night dives or current or something) that's fine. But I think you can "wimp out" just because you aren't feeling it. I'd MUCH rather have a buddy do that, than go diving when they aren't happy and focused on the dive.

Of course, if somebody develops a PATTERN of doing that repeatedly, I probably will stop asking that person to go diving with me . . .

There is something eating me about the original post.
One of two things happened here.

1. You got to the dive site, and your instabuddies changed the plan on you at the last minute. The proposed dive plan flies in the face of all of our training. You would have been crazy to go along with it. I really don't see why need all of us to tell you that you should have called that particular dive. Your training clearly tells you that.
2. You knew about the plan, and went anyway. Then you waited until your gut feelings told you that you shouldn't be diving this plan. If this is the case, I think you need to seriously evaluate the way you do your dive planning.

without knowing any details of your situation, I would suggest not going to war with this person. I would pull them aside in the near future and have a calm discussion about their concerns, and address their concerns. Showing that you learned from your accident should go a long way.

I very much appreciate your advice. But honestly if I run into her I would be pulling her aside by her hair. Best if we don't run into each other. She will get what she's got coming some day.

I have 377 dives at my favorite local site, Marineland. I've called the dive many times there or I would have over 400. Some days I just don't feel like it, and other days the conditions warrant staying out. Some people feel differently.

I have 377 dives at my favorite local site, Marineland. I've called the dive many times there or I would have over 400. Some days I just don't feel like it, and other days the conditions warrant staying out. Some people feel differently.

do you make instructional videos for PADI? :)

There is something eating me about the original post.
One of two things happened here.

1. You got to the dive site, and your instabuddies changed the plan on you at the last minute. The proposed dive plan flies in the face of all of our training. You would have been crazy to go along with it. I really don't see why need all of us to tell you that you should have called that particular dive. Your training clearly tells you that.
2. You knew about the plan, and went anyway. Then you waited until your gut feelings told you that you shouldn't be diving this plan. If this is the case, I think you need to seriously evaluate the way you do your dive planning.

I didn't know about the 1/2 mile swim until I was almost there and no one knew how strong the current was going to be. As for your quote here: I really don't see why need all of us to tell you that you should have called that particular dive. I just wanted to see what other divers would do or say in that situation is all.

Who in there right mind called a location 1/2 mile out a shore dive???
Good call

Who in there right mind called a location 1/2 mile out a shore dive???
Good call

I know allot of divers that dive this reef in Pompano but this was a different site by a couple of miles. The reef I was thinking of is 50 yards off the beach and there is another one between that and the edge of the pier which I have been to but just further south.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom