Calling All Zeagle Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mozz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I need the advice of all you Zeagle BC owners. I have searched all the threads and compiled as much info as I could regarding Zeagle BC's. However, I am curious to ask you again to put down all the pros and cons of your Zeagle in one thread rather than spread across the many. Obviously there will be some redundancy, but mixed in with the new posts and put all together in one thread I am hoping that it will help me better understand the BC's. Thanks in advance for your input.

Here is my opinion. After doing extensive research I decided on a back inflate for room, lack of squeeze when inflated, optimum boyancy and streamlining beneath the surface. Now the reason I chose the Zeagle Brigade (get ahold of Larry at Scuba Toys), the Zeagles (most anyways) do not have the sleeves to hold the weights in the integrated weight pockets. Instead there is a ripcord that you pull out to drop the weights, and it stays attatched so you dont loose in in the event of an emergency. The rear weight pockets are also dumpable as well with a good yank on the pull tabs on each rear weight pocket. The craftsmanship and quality is tops. The bc is also customizable. You can get different bladders with different lifts. You can get colors if you want to lay out the extra $$. Plus now they have a new universal pocket system similar to the Ranger LTD that will fit most any Zeagle BC. Plus for the money I could not find a better, more durable BC anywhere.. Oh, lots of metal D rings, lots of pockets, and feels great underwater.

clgsamson:
what have you got so far? why not post your compiled info here in your thread?
Caloy,

My apologies for lacking the foresight for intelligent compilation. I simply did not understand the importance, at the time, of keeping all the tidbits of info on anything else than a legal notepad. Again, sorry.

Mozz

The Brigade was the best combination of engineering, stout quality, packability, and features like d-rings and pocket size.

I have finally purchased my zeagle concept two in the last two weeks. I have been using similar rental BCs and I love them.

Pros:
Its comfortable, zero squeeze and sooooo adjustable. I can wear it nekkid or over a dry suit easily. Although I haven't tried it nekkid yet :wink:. I'm also happy with the way the weight distributes in this BC. I tried a Sherwood Axis a while back and the BC forced me forwards, kneeling on the bottom was nearly impossible, I had to fight not to kiss the bottom of the pool. But the Zeagle makes neutral buoyancy effortless, its the only BC I've found that I can hold Buddha in!

Cons:
The only problem I notice with zeagle that my LDS has told me is a known problem is that it periodically does not like to deflate. I haven't had this problem with my new BC but the older rental ones periodically stuck and to get them to deflate, I'd have to pump a couple shots on the inflator and then I could deflate as much as needed. Nothing critical, just a PITA/annoyance more than anything. Although not something I would want to have to deal with in open water, in the pool it was fine but in the lake would be another story.

Mozz,
I have been diving the same Zeagle Ranger since 1998... The BC has held up very well over time. While reading my comments, keep in mind that I learned to dive in my Ranger & therefore really have nothing else to compare it to. However, if I were going to buy another BC (as opposed to going to a BP/wing setup...), I would not hesitate to buy a Zeagle again.

Specific to the Ranger & IMHO,

Pros: back inflate, can handle single or double tanks, weight integrated, extraordinarily durable, plenty of D-Rings, very comfortable & adjustable with modular construction, good bouyancy characteristics.

Cons: The pockets located over the weight pouches are difficult to access and virtually useless, the lower vest (waist) D-Rings can be difficult to find & clip into underwater, and I have found that I consider the split saddle crotch strap a mandatory accessory to keep the rig from sliding up.

I have not personally experienced the air trapping or failure to deflate that some people complain of. As to the deficiencies that I mentioned, keep in mind that my Ranger is an eight year old design, and as I watch the evolution & modification of the Ranger, it just keeps getting better...

JP

Stiletto... mediun size, perfect fit, infinately adjustable, all the creature comforts, rugged, well built, great service, dual tank bands, ripcord weight dump system, rear trim pockets, softplate design, well placed d-rings, back inflate, lots of accessories available, very stable, good trim, streamlined, comfortable cummerbund, chest strap, carrying strap, dual lower air dump valves, well placed top dump valve, packs well for travel, accepts larger/smaller wings, open and unrestricted chest area for freedom of movement and when people glance at it you can see the envy in their eye. Unless you want a larger or smaller Zeagle, what more could you ask for?

Back
Top Bottom