Calling out the Nitrox Posers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers:
Okay, I can't stand it any longer. For the record, I am nitrox certified. This means I know what nitrox is , when it can be useful, and when it can be dangerous. But it seems every time I am at some popular, shallow shore dive there is some buffoon there breathing nitrox.

I am not talking about an application where it might be useful. I am talking about 15' shore dives, 25' deep spring dives, or even instructors training people in swimming pools!! What is the point of this? In these instances you are not NDL limited, (and won't be on subsequent dives either) so there is really no reason to be breathing it. It just wastes money.

I think they look like idiots and are just trying to show off to non-nitrox divers and chicks on the beach.

Am I way off base here?

I think you should not let it bother you so much.....enjoy your diving time more,,,its their choice what they dive---who gives a 'rat'.

This seems more like whine & cheese. What difference does it make what someone else breathes? How does it affect you, exactly?

Just curious.

Crazy Fingers:
I think they look like idiots and are just trying to show off to non-nitrox divers and chicks on the beach.

Am I way off base here?

I thought that's what the second can light was for. :wink:

---
Ken

OHGoDive:
This seems more like whine & cheese. What difference does it make what someone else breathes? How does it affect you, exactly?

Just curious.

Obviously, its working on the local chicks.

Duh...

Pay attention, man. :mooner:

---
Ken

I dive nitrox when teaching OW even if I don't plan to go below 30' since sawtooth profiles are not nessasarily good for you I like to hedge my bets.
You might want to be careful who you are calling a poser.

My tanks have green and yellow stickers on them that say the tank *may* contain gas mixes other than air; there is a separate sticker giving the details of the current gas mix. But 90% of the dives I do are on air, since they are shallow shore dives.

Maybe I'm just a poser for wearing a green and yellow tank on my back.

Orig Poster ... chill dude... its O K

im one of those people, you see at a 15ft dive with nitrox because its the ONLY tanks we have!! except for the child,... her tank is air but only becasue shes too young to be nitrox certified

to spin you out some more... hubby (who is an instructor) is going down the rebreather path (try dives next friday) and he will also be one of those guys at 15ft with a rebreather because he taking lots of pics of pretty fishies.. in fact, when he goes YBOD i will be going twins to give him more time with a buddy - at 15ft

diving for us is not about being challanged its about continued learning, being comfortable and having fun.... and what poster # 3 said... sometimes we only have 21% in our nitrox tanks :wink:

its all good :D

I am a Poser....Not certified Nitrox but have dove 21% with tanks marked "Nitrox Only" all summer. I survived all of my dives even.

Did you test there tanks? or watch them?

Crazy Fingers:

Am I way off base here?

:popcorn:
All of my tanks are Nitrox labeled, regardless of current contents. funny thing is I've yet to have any chicks flocking to me because of my cool tanks. maybe I'm not using the right stickers??:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom