Calypso Iv Cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to rebuild a calypso iv (model with the rotating turret with additional low pressure ports) and I am having trouble removing the cap. It looks like from the diagrams it unscrews but mine appears to be stuck and I can not turn it.

Wondering if anyone out there has any tips or tricks. I have the service kit from VDH but not able to get the cap off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Jeb, If we are talking the same regulator, the Calypso balanced piston first stage, then the end with the slot screws off (this is a cap where the J-Reserve would also go). The other end, with the rotating LP outlets, has a simple circlip, and all you need to do is remove the circlip and the rest simply pulls off. You can remove the circlip with a small screwdriver, or better use a circlip pliers to expand it (not contract it--that is a different circlip pliers) and pull it off. The rotating turrent simply has two O-rings that keep it from leaking.

SeaRat

After you remove the rotating "Port Fitting" (item 25 in manual), you still have to unscrew the "cap" (item 22) to remove the piston.

The easiest way to grab the cap is by putting a rod through the holes, but do not force it. You can damage the cap if you have to put too much force.

You can try cold and some heat, like putting the regulator in the freezer over night and then just pouring some very hot water (or boiling) just on the cap. And the trying to turn it.
The hot-cold process can be repeated if needed.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for both your replies. i had gotten the rotating turret off with the circlip pliers but the cap was just stuck. A little coaxing with cold got it to come off.

Good news is the indie looks pretty nice, not a lot of corrosion. Went ahead and replaced the HP seat. Hoping to get it working soon.

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom