camel pack underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206:
A friend of mine was trying to develop the SCUSA (Self Contained Underwater Smoking Aparatus) go figure ............

About 10 years ago when myself and several of the guys I dive with still smoked, my dive buddy and I were sitting on the boat after our dive waiting for the last two divers to finish their deco after a long dive to 150. We weighted a slate, tied a line to it, and sent it down with a question:

"How was your dive?"
"Great"
"How much deco left?"
"22 minutes."
"Want a smoke?"
"Piss off, don't want to think about it."

Next we tied a 500ml soda bottle above the slate, put one cigarette and one match inside, and sent it down to them. Slate came back reading:

"****** OFF!"

They weren't amused by our sense of humour, but you just know they'd have done the same to us. Ah, the old days, when a commercial dive tender smoked the same brand as his diver so he could have a lit one ready as soon as he took the hat off his head.

Cheers,
Al.

I have personally tried using the water bag from my camel pack underwater and it works well. the thing u have to remember is to close the tap of the pack when you are done with it. If not, the water will start to taste salty.

Another thing to note is that it is better to just take the water bladder down as the pack itself is positively bouyant and will float up if it is not secured properly which i discovered when i tried it out for the first time. Imagine the camel pack floating on top of you and your BC when u are horizontal and you should get the idea.

And as what Rick says, please try it out somewhere safe before bringing it down to depth for a drink.

Happy trying

good stuff… great for the diving in Egypt in the summer where you can get sooo dehydrated.
When we did our diveathon, some of the divers did use bottles of water… the type that are similar to a sports drinking bottle where you pull the lid open once it is in your mouth. Apparently they work well, though I have yet to try them.
I don't really get thirstly but do drink loads before and after diving. I also suck in a tiny bit of water through the corners of my mouth if it gets really dry. Not the tastiest option, but on an hour's I am not likely to need much more than a dribble just to get rid of that drymouth effect. I certainly don't recommend it if you are actually dehydrated or on a long deco dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom