Question Camera choice/new/used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen the review too.. and gosh looks like a sweet camera!
For MY needs (Which may be different than others), when underwater, I shoot macro. The EPL-10 doesn't look as good as the TG-6.
Also, on land, I shoot macro and telephoto. Not sure the EPL-10 is the best camera.. Actually will be looking at a used DSLR, just cause .. all the buttons!!! :)

I have the EPL10 for underwater. I use the Panasonic 8mm Fisheye for wide angle and CFWA, I use the 30mm and 60mm macros for macro (they can use the same port so that's nice :).

For above water photography I have the Olympus EM1-3, I use the Panasonic 8mm Fisheye for astrolandscape photography, the 30 and 60 mm for macro, the 300F4 for wildlife, 12-100F4 for general purpose photography, and a few primes for family gatherings.

I love the value you can get with the Olympus camera kits and you could share the lenses across the camera bodies should you need to.

I have the EPL10 for underwater. I use the Panasonic 8mm Fisheye for wide angle and CFWA, I use the 30mm and 60mm macros for macro (they can use the same port so that's nice :).

For above water photography I have the Olympus EM1-3, I use the Panasonic 8mm Fisheye for astrolandscape photography, the 30 and 60 mm for macro, the 300F4 for wildlife, 12-100F4 for general purpose photography, and a few primes for family gatherings.

I love the value you can get with the Olympus camera kits and you could share the lenses across the camera bodies should you need to.
OMG you have almost the perfect set up.

What brand housing are you using for this camera?
I am using an AOI housing (I got the Octo housing from Backscatter).

When do use the 30mm not the 60mm and vice versa? I have the 60mm, is it worth getting the 30mm also in your experience?
I dive a lot of Beach diving in Southern California, USA so the water is decently turbid. I personally find that using the 30mm allows me to get a lot closer to the creatures (mostly Nudis) to help minimize the backscatter and particulates in the water column. The 60mm keeps me too far from the creatures, I know most people would prefer the 60mm but they seem to be diving in clearer waters than I dive.

I upgraded from the SP-350 to the S 95 a few years ago (2015), shoot mostly macro and have a couple diopters. As much as I like it, I wanted to upgrade and went with a TG-6 I got off Ebay. Used it for 10 months before my luck of using it sans housing ran out. Borrowed a TG -4, but miss the TG-6. Still using the S95, but miss the Tg-6. LOVE the macro setting.
Waiting to pull the plug and get it AND a housing. Thought there would be some good deals for Black Friday, but very disappointed. There might be one yet under my tree...
What makes you miss the the TG-6 when using the TG-4?

The TG 6, much better for Macro. Seemed easier to use and more intuitive. Battery seemed better.

TG 6 seahorse, octopus
TG 4 nudi. If I had the TG 6 I would of gotten a much closer shot.

Attachments

• 1292 07 5 seahorse.jpg
    1292 07 5 seahorse.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 1292 12 octo.jpg
    1292 12 octo.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 50
  • 1308 16 nudi.jpg
    1308 16 nudi.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 57
TG 6 seahorse, octopus
TG 4 nudi. If I had the TG 6 I would of gotten a much closer shot.
This is very interesting for me. I am doing extreme macro with the TG4 without problems. Why couldn't you approach more to the nudi?

I have complaints about the noise of the sensor in the TG4 -but probably TG6 will still be noisy-, but not about the possibility of focusing near the object.

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_071846.jpg
    IMG_20221029_071846.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 48
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom