can a safety sausage be deployed at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy j

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently bought what i thought was a smb, however i have noticed it does not have a over fill air release valve on it.
Does this mean that it cannot be deployed from beneath the surface.
I would have thought any excess air would simply blow out the bottom, the bottom has a flexible flat weight which can be flexed in an open position.

Without the over pressure valve, it depends on the design of the bottom. If the design allows air to escape, then it can be deployed at depth. If not, then it's a surface marker only.

Mine doesn't have an overpressure valve and I deploy it from depth all the time... I just don't fill it completely at depth. It's a small one, 4 feet.

Yes.

If it doesn't have an OPV, use caution, and remember one breath will go a long way :wink:

I have deployed such a marker "at depth" many times without a problem. I put "at depth" in quotes because it can mean anything from 15 feet to 300 feet. If you are at 33 feet and fill it half full, it will be completely full at the surface. If you are at 66 feet, 1/3 full will get it full at the surface. I have overfilled it a bit by those measures more than a few times, and the result has been one rock hard SMB at the surface, but no problems otherwise.

If it does not have an oral inflate and is to be inflated using a second stage in the bottom, it is intended be inflated at depth.
I believe I have one similar to the one you describe, and the expanding gas spils out the bottom. The metal flaps are supposed to help it maintain it's fill if it falls over at the surface.

No, with a "push down" oral inflator.
Safety sausage. My first DSMB was a safety sausage I'd send from the safety stop.

I now much prefer my ~ 60"x 6" closed circuit Halcyon. I send it from the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom