can a wetsuit be too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carribeandiver:
at 75F, you will need a 1mm or 1.5 core warmer at most. Contact one of the online vendors and see if you can get one shipped pronto. ScubaToys can get one to you in under 10 days, unless you live in some far off land without UPS or USPS.
At 75 i'm starting to get cold in my 3/2 and already wearing a beany if not a full hood.

While I agree with most that you'll initially be warm in the 7mm suit, this may be the case-initially-for a dive or two. I did read some interesting info recently about core body temperature, however, that you may want to consider. As you stated, you will be diving frequently over a 10 week period, averaging 10 dives/week and, for sure, several days of multiple dives.

Over a longer period of time (compared to the tourist diving for 5-7 days) the continuous contact with water MAY have a tendency to lower the body core temp. While 70+ degree water is awesome for us northerners, it is significantly lower than our normal body temp. Even a few degrees change (4-5 degrees below the norm) in the core body temperature can have potential mild hypothermic side effects...so watch out. It might not even be a bad idea to monitor your temp.

I know a boat captain and diver in the Bahamas that REGULARLY wears a 2mm skin under his 3mm suit (with a hood) and double booties for his SUMMER diving when the water can exceed 80 degrees.

In the end, you may still need to purchase something lighter than a 7mm, but don't fall prey to the warm waters and ignore the side effects of diving in 'colder' water (yes, colder is a relative term...I know from Quarry diving @ 60+feet in Ohio!!)

well I called up my instructor and voiced my concerns. He said he was ready to hang himself on the fact that I would not be too warm underwater. But he's going to contact scubapro and ask why on earth they sent him a 7mm and if they can send the right one pronto. Since it was after all their mistake.

And yes I do live faraway, on a small island in the north antlantic. So these things take time unfortunately

Onda:
Well now I'm starting to have second thoughts, am I going to me steaming in my 7 mm at 75 F? :snorkel:

It depends on your own internal thermostat. Me, I dived my hooded 7mm in the Bahamas in slightly warmer temps and was very comfortable. I've only been too warm in the water on two occasions and both were in a drysuit with 80 degree surface temps.

Carribeandiver:
at 75F, you will need a 1mm or 1.5 core warmer at most.

Frankly, that is horrible advice. Maybe someone overweight, working hard, with very short duration and no repetitive diving, or with an incredible cold tolerance could do a 75 F degree dive in a 1.5mm core warmer, but for most of the rest of the diving public, I would consider a 3-5mm full suit a minimum for this temp range. I have used a 7mm and a 3mm+5mm core warmer and was comfortable in both.

Even if you can stay reasonably warm for the duration of the dive, this choice of exposure protection has no contingency built in in case you end up in the water longer than expected due to any number of factors.

Onda:
well I called up my instructor and voiced my concerns. He said he was ready to hang himself on the fact that I would not be too warm underwater. But he's going to contact scubapro and ask why on earth they sent him a 7mm and if they can send the right one pronto. Since it was after all their mistake.

And yes I do live faraway, on a small island in the north antlantic. So these things take time unfortunately
That is why it is good to fill out your profile. Good luck getting the 5 mil and if you are diving in the PDC area, will you be diving the Cenotes, they are a bit colder than the ocean and are must do dives IMO

and welcome to :sblogo:

Onda:
I'm going to be diving alot nearby Playa del Carmen in Mexico, from January to April. 100+ dives in a 10 week period. I live in a drysuit only area and there are no diveshops so I asked my old dive instructor (which sells dive equipment also) if he could order a wetsuit for me. He ordered a 5 mm everflex from scubapro. Well scubapro forgot to put the wetsuit with his order but I finally got it today. I was starting to get nervous since I'm leaving in 10 days. So I went to pick it up. Tried it on and thought it was a little thick for a 5 mm. Turns out scubapro made a mistake and sent a 7 mm! My old instructor asured me one could never be to warm underwater especially if making multiple long dives, well that's the reason I decided to go for a 5 mm instead of a 3 mm anyways... So I took the 7 mm and got it for the price of a 5 mm.

Well now I'm starting to have second thoughts, am I going to me steaming in my 7 mm at 75 F? :snorkel:

I'm a very warm-natured person, but when I went diving in Ft. Lauderdale Tuesday in 75 degree water, my 3 mil seemed a little warm to me.

Onda - You lucky duck. 100 dives in 10 weeks! I'm green with envy!

Have a blast. And like everyone else says, get a 3mm (I'd personally sport a cool farmer john for this type of dive).

Doing that much repetitive diving (I'm jealous!) and you'll get colder than most will diving a more ordinary schedule. The 7mm may actually be ok, tho you may be warm for the first few days. Remember you can always flush water through to cool down.

That said, I agree a 5mm is far more common for those temps.

i've sat in the 84 degree pool for 3 hours in a shorty and got cold. eventually your body temp will lower if you are in anything under your core temp and you will get cold... it depends on your body. i rather be too warm than too cold... you can always open it up to cool down. make sure you have it unzipped and down when you are out of the water so you don't overheat in the sun.

have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom