can a wetsuit be too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing that much repetitive diving (I'm jealous!) and you'll get colder than most will diving a more ordinary schedule. The 7mm may actually be ok, tho you may be warm for the first few days. Remember you can always flush water through to cool down.

That said, I agree a 5mm is far more common for those temps.

That's why I opted for the 5mm instead of 3mm, because of the repetitive diving. And a 7mm seems a little over the top :) But we will see how it goes maybe the right one will ship in time. Although my dive instructor reckons I'll be the source of envy when time goes by.
Also much of my bottom time will be spent doing coral surveys, hence allot of hovering scribbling down species names. *sigh* my buoyancy control is going to be so fantastic at the end :D

I think everyone's internal thermostat is different. I dive a 2mm shorty down to 74 degrees with no problem. Everyone else on the boat, wearing there full suits, looks at me like I am nuts, but I am comfortable. Now that it is getting chilly, I bought a really comfortable 2mm full suit and I can wear the shorty underneath if it get really cold

In addition to being over warmed, I'd be concerned about reduced mobility and increased bouyancy. How much extra lead will you need to sink a 7mm suit?

I have the Xcel Vortex, which is a 3/4/5 suit and I think it's a pretty good compromise between a 5mm and a 3mm.

All my diving is done in 72 degree (springs) water, and by the end of my first dive I am shivering in a 3mm FJ and a beanie. And how deep will your dives be? I know I instant freeze after 40 ft in the 72 degree water. There is no telling what your cold tollerance is, but I would say that you should be fine in the 7 if you cant get a 5mm before then.

Also, what island are you located in up there?

RJP:
In addition to being over warmed, I'd be concerned about reduced mobility and increased bouyancy. How much extra lead will you need to sink a 7mm suit?

I have the Xcel Vortex, which is a 3/4/5 suit and I think it's a pretty good compromise between a 5mm and a 3mm.
More than a 5mm, certainly, but probably only a few pounds more. Many of us seem to get along just fine in 7mm suits, btw... may not be as nice as the thin suits you get away with in warmer waters, but we somehow manage to have a great time diving!

I've never found a wetsuit too warm in the water. On the surface maybe but that problem goes when you jump in.

Worst case scenario if you feel a bit warm on a dive, flush some water through/loosen the zip.

Not that its an option. Even 30c water cools the core after a while.

In addition to being over warmed, I'd be concerned about reduced mobility and increased bouyancy.

Well since it's an everflex the mobility is fine. Although I haven't tried on the 5mm everflex... But remembering the normal wetsuit I got taking my OW in Australia, it's not that stiff. As for extra lead, well my last few dives where in a drysuit so I'm not concerned about a couple of extra pounds. I'm used to worse (I guess that would go for the mobility factor also, you're not exactly agile in a drysuit. So all in all everything is an improvement :D)

Also, what island are you located in up there?

I come from the land of the ice and snow. From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow. :)

CompuDude:
More than a 5mm, certainly, but probably only a few pounds more. Many of us seem to get along just fine in 7mm suits, btw... may not be as nice as the thin suits you get away with in warmer waters, but we somehow manage to have a great time diving!

Warmer waters? 90% of my diving is done here in NJ with average summertime temps at the bottom struggling to hit 50F. I've only ever used the Vortex in Hawaii.

:)

My 5/4 was too hot in 85 F shallow water off Panama City Beach, FL. Had to call the dive due to overheating.

Of course, you could grab an el cheapo 3/2 from a sports store for a song and relish the 7mil when you need it. :wink:

Of course, you could grab an el cheapo 3/2 from a sports store for a song and relish the 7mil when you need it.

yeah that would be nice but you see I'm a rather tall (180 cm), curvy female so I doubt that I'll find a cheapo that fits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom