Can a woman dive and travel Mozambique by herself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocdiver1, do you have a trip report somewhere? I'd love to know quite a bit more about the Mozambique diving. Apparently, one can do land safari and follow up with diving. Ergo, would love as much info as you are able to share on the diving, dive ops, nitrox?, sites, accommodations, etc. etc. etc. (Like the OP, I too am a woman)
Hi Chilly..sorry never posted a trip report anywhere, but feel free to pm any questions and I'd be happy to answer them if I know. Same trip also did a lot of diving in South Africa if that's another option or add-on you're considering.

It will always be Rhodesia to me.... To be a man among men... Rhodesia defence forces... Under the night sky's of Africa....

Jim...

RLI.jpg

Pugnamus Amo Leo

Something that I already posted at the Women's perspective forum where this question also came up.
Last October, I traveled to Tofu and Zavora with my dive buddy for 2 weeks. We had no issues traveling as two women alone. We met a German woman traveling alone in Tofu that was diving with another dive operator but joined us to travel to Zavora. Internal flights were good, we had transportation (car) arranged beforehand to travel between towns. People were friendly - it helped that we understood Portuguese, but at these places - including the town of Vilanculos - you could find people easily who could speak English. What we did not do was walk around in the dark or hitchhike. Just common sense. Also, I am not sure if the rest of the coast is as safe but Vilanculos/Tofu/Zavora stretch was fine. We did fly with LAM from Johannesburg into Tofu and did not travel inland Moz. just the coast.

It's not that I think it's totally unsafe to travel 3rd world country's as a Woman.... It really depends on the woman and how smart she is.. And that also goes for men... Things go downhill in a hurry if your not on your game... Dress down, No jewelry, Stay in well lighted spaces, Don't walk alone if possible, Carry as little money as you can and don't pull out a pile of bills to pay... keep bills separate in your pocket so you only pull one bill out... "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOLIC DRINKS" If alone.... Oh... And have fun diving.... In a one piece at covers your butt.... :wink:

Jim...

Two added recommendations when diving in Mozambique - any gender: 1. I highly recommend you get dive insurance. There is no recompression chamber in that country. You will need to be evacuated to South Africa 2. Be Nitrox certified - the most amazing dive sites are between 28-38 m deep and just blue in between. If you dive air, the guide will send you up while the rest of the group (Nitrox) has many more minutes to enjoy the dive. And who knows maybe in those minutes a whale shark or a school of manta rays will pass by

I dive in Mozam, about once a year, even though I go with a group of divers, it is a rural country, an I have never had any real issues with the local population, if you plan where in Moz you want to dive and how long you will stay in different places. Finding a way from point to point can be a problem as most of your car rental companies in SA don't let you cross the border with their cars. look up thrifty car hire, you should look at a 4x4 as some roads are rough if you are going to self drive, if you would rather fly around you can but are limited to the places you can go, you will be able to fly to Barra ( Inhambane/ Tofo area to sea Mantas and whale sharks etc), and then vilanculos which is further north with warmer water and reef, if you are looking for shark diving Moz isn't the place, but the Macro and reef is awesome.

Hope you do Decide to go to Mozambique as it is a really fun adventure!!!

So, I spent 8 weeks covering the whole coast of Mozambique by myself, as a 27 year old American woman two years ago. I did about 30 dives in all while I was there. I dived in Tofo, Vilankulos, Nacala, Pemba, and in the Quirimbas Archipelago (which was a dream). I had a tent and was willing to put up with long, uncomfortable bus rides and I had a truly fantastic time. I highly recommend it. The only thing I would say that might give you pause is that I speak Portuguese. Speaking Portuguese is not necessary but it really does help a lot.

I have travelled all over Latin America and I have to say that Mozambique is a lot safer than many popular travel destinations in terms of big things like violence and small things like petty theft. The only real dangers are car crashes and malaria.

I hope you do it!

Dear Divers,

I am planning to go to Mozambique and get as much of the coast covered as can be crammed into three weeks. Would anybody happen to know if that is a safe thing to do for a woman by herself?

Please say yes! :wink:

Cheers.

Anyone heading to Mozambique at end of December? I wouldn't mind meeting up with a fellow diver.

Back
Top Bottom