Can any swim stroke be used for PADI DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering can I use any type of stroke to complete the swim tests like side stroke,kicking on my back,doggy paddle,breast stroke?

Any stroke or combination of strokes, even doggie paddle.
I'd suggest a good portion on your back for easy breathing if you are not a strong and very comfortable swimmer. Swim your pace and remember although it is timed it isn't a race.

When I did mine in September, I mostly did back and side stroke (both sides). Up one way, back a different. We used a short pool so there were lots of laps. Changing styles broke up the boredom and kept from too much muscle fatigue.

Can any swim stroke be used for PADI DM? doggy paddle?

:shocked2:

Any stroke or combination of strokes, even doggie paddle.

I'd suggest a good portion on your back for easy breathing if you are not a strong and very comfortable swimmer.

I'd suggest that if someone is genuinely considering the doggie paddle as an option or are "not a strong and very comfortable swimmer" that is a pretty strong indication that they are very poorly suited to be a DM.

:shakehead:

shipment-of-fail.jpg

ah, but what if they were very strong at doggy paddle :wink:

I was wondering can I use any type of stroke to complete the swim tests like side stroke,kicking on my back,doggy paddle,breast stroke?

"Doggy paddle" or "kicking on my back" are not recognized swimming strokes. The instructor might accept them, I would not. N

:shocked2:

I'd suggest that if someone is genuinely considering the doggie paddle as an option or are "not a strong and very comfortable swimmer" that is a pretty strong indication that they are very poorly suited to be a DM.

:shakehead:

I'd agree but that doesn't mean a instructor has a right to disqualify a candidate based on standards. Although the instructor probably should be aware of the problem before considering the student as a DMC and not accept the student.
Plus there are"strong and very comfortable swimmer" and then their are adequate swimmers. Strong swimmers will score 4 or 5 points while adequate swimmers will score 2 - 3 points (IMHO) but standards allow a pass with 1 point for swimming and 12 points total and freestyle means any stroke recognized or not.

Plus there are"strong and very comfortable swimmer" and then their are adequate swimmers. Strong swimmers will score 4 or 5 points while adequate swimmers will score 2 - 3 points (IMHO) but standards allow a pass with 1 point for swimming and 12 points total and freestyle means any stroke recognized or not.

If the points scored were actually printed on the DM card, I'd have no problem with this point of view.

Back
Top Bottom