Can be done from Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, Thai forum -

My first time in the Thai forum, since we are contemplating another Asian dive trip. We will be traveling on an All Asia Pass on Cathay Pacific Airllines. Phuket is one of the allowed basic stops. So my questions are:

- Is there a week's worth of world class diving within a short transfer distance of Phuket?
- What is the name of the dive area(s)?
- Since our budget is not unlimited, we would likely need to stay at a land-based resort, and dive from shore or day boats. What would be your recommendations for both?
- Is it possible that there are reasonably priced liveaboards in the area? Not interested in luxury, just good diving and a safe, efficiently-run boat, at least four dives a day.
- What kind of diving? What would we see?
- Would November be a good time for such a trip?

Thank you for any suggestions!

OK, now that I have explored some, I find that liveaboards there are reasonably priced. With that in mind, recommendataions for a boat? Full week trip preferred.

November is the beginning of Phuket's high season and you have all the options then: ie. shore diving, 1/2 day trips to sites within minutes from Kata, Karon and Kata Noi beaches, daytrips, Phi Phi Overnight cruises and Liveaboard cruises to the Similan and Surin islands as well as the southern islands Hin Daeng/ Hin Muang. The Liveaboard cruises offer the best diving that Thailand has to offer and there are many options.

Ringo, thanks for your info!

High Desert;
Your profile info says: "Logged dives - None, not certified".
Planning to get certified at home or in Thailand?

Just got back last week from Phuket area. There are about 10 (destination) day trips available from Phuket area. A couple of overnight trips available (mostly p-p island), and of course the live aboards to the Similans. Probably the best day trip from Phuket is the King Cruiser, Shark point, Ko Doc Mai. trip. One of the few three dive day trips. P-P overnight was worth it except for hotel accommodation's.

IMHO I think all day trips could be done in a 5-7 day period based out of Phuket.

Have fun!!! I did!!

Greetings from Phuket, highdesert!

You ask if there's world-class diving near Phuket. The answer is a resounding YES. We have the Similan and the Surin Islands national marine parks, which as pointed out above are best done by liveaboard, with the low-end offerings costing about 20,000 THB for a 4d/4n trip.

I would add that daytrips to the Similans run about 5,000 per day for two dives, so over four days you would get 8 dives for 20K, and you would be paying for your lodging and meals on top of that. With the LOB you would have 14 dives with meals and sleeping quarters included. So the notion that a land-based stay would be cheaper than an LOB is not quite accurate here in Thailand.

Daytrips from Phuket to the south and east are less expensive than those to the Similans, though, so if you stayed in a budget-level guesthouse that costs about 1,500 THB and did four days of trips that average 3,500 THB each, with two or three dives a day, you'd spend about the same 20K. If your budget allows for a more upscale LOB or lodging on Phuket, you'll still come out with the same sorts of balanced figures, I'd guess.

You also ask what sort of diving to expect and what you might see. We have a mix of sloping reefs, boulder sites, pinnacles, and seamounts. We don't have many wrecks or walls. There are healthy coral fields with many types of hard and soft corals. The fish life is prolific, abundant, and varied, but mostly consists of reef fish with some pelagics like barracuda, jacks, etc. for good measure. At certain times of year we see mantas and whale sharks regularly, but not typically in November.

My advice would be to do a LOB for four days to the Similans/Surins and spend a couple more days doing daytrips from Phuket (or a short LOB to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang) to round out your week.

I've done both the Mermaid 2, and the Colona 6 - in fact I'm going back to the Colona 6 in two weeks time.

Those are both good boats. There are others too......but these two I've actually been on.

Hey Highdesert!
I went to Phuket in January and I highly recommend it as a place to dive from. I too, wanted to get the most from my travel dollar and I must say that with the help of Quero, I did. She set up my trip and had all that I needed ready for me when I arrived. Being that she is on site she tailored my diving experience to match my budget and my time frame, I even freed up some time to get my Enriched Air certification with her. She also showed me the best places to eat, and I saved in that department as well. Hope this helps....
Have Fun!
Eric

Back
Top Bottom