Can BP/W be better than this backinflated BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, I think that if the main aim is to travel light, SS or alu bps are out of the question. Depends on what you want and need, Back-inflate/jackets and bp/w are equally good.

How can you complain about the weight of a two lb. aluminum BP with a Hog harness?

rongoodman:
How can you complain about the weight of a two lb. aluminum BP with a Hog harness?

Because that's two pounds less I have to drag through the airport.

When I'm traveling, I like to shave weight where-ever I can, so my attitude is why carry it when you can pick it up when you get there?

O2BBubbleFree:
Because that's two pounds less I have to drag through the airport.

When I'm traveling, I like to shave weight where-ever I can, so my attitude is why carry it when you can pick it up when you get there?

I appreciate where you're going with this but just how much does your rig weigh? If I read you right, your rig has NO weight.

In general, there is a miss conception that BP and wings are heavier than standard BCs. They certainly CAN be. But there are many lightweight options. Even a standard SS plate/wing weighs no more than say something like a Ranger or Chute. Then there are those crazy-light jobs like travel plates, Al plates and Tobin's Kydex job.

Personally, I would rather carry my rig... all 9 pounds of it... and have a sweet setup for my diving than have to try to tweak a super light kit on the boat. But that's just me... I'm a gear horse!

Oh... I see that the OP already opted for one of those killer deals at golemgear.com

... guess he already figured things out.

Stephen Ash:
I appreciate where you're going with this but just how much does your rig weigh? If I read you right, your rig has NO weight.
Hi Stephan.

I beleive I stated that my rig is neutrally buoyant and weighs "next to nothing" dry.

I had tested it's buoyancy, but never actually weighed it dry, so I just took it out to the garage and rigged up a balance beam using my bean bag weights. My BC weighs between 3 and 4# dry.

Stephen Ash:
In general, there is a miss conception that BP and wings are heavier than standard BCs. They certainly CAN be. But there are many lightweight options. Even a standard SS plate/wing weighs no more than say something like a Ranger or Chute. Then there are those crazy-light jobs like travel plates, Al plates and Tobin's Kydex job.

Yeah, but I do understand. If you notice in my first post I mentioned that I was looking at getting an ABS plate before I found this deal on eBay.

Stephen Ash:
Personally, I would rather carry my rig... all 9 pounds of it... and have a sweet setup for my diving than have to try to tweak a super light kit on the boat. But that's just me... I'm a gear horse!

Nothing wrong with that. I just prefer to carry my 4# rig and have a sweet setup. No tweaking necessary. For example I know that with my shorty I need 6# of lead, so when I arrive on site I get 6# from the dive op and put it in my weight belt. Tank positon for proper trim has already been determined.

To each his own. The OP wanted a budget travel rig, and I thought I'd give another option for him to choose from. If he'd rather have a 9# rig, or 57# for that matter, that's his choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom