Can diving affect eczema?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use to be an Underwater Videographer and had to quit my job because i suddenly had really bad eczema on my hands and feet and it wouldn't go around. It worsened with exposure to the water. My hands and feet started to peel and crack really badly. Everytime I go on vacation now the same thing starts to happen again within 3-4 days peeling starts and gets worse when i return home before getting better again (3 months of it) for a 2 week dive trip

I have always suffered severe atopic eczema, and the ocean has always been one of my #1 treatments. Sun exposure is also good for me, I have even had a dermatologist tell me to 'go and get a tan' - not advocating sunburn but UV light therapy is also a recognised treatment for eczema, and much cheaper direct from the sun! Just make sure you use a good moisturiser (the QV range work well for me) and be careful about diving in swimming pools or fresh water when you have active flares as infection is much more likely from these sources.

I have always suffered severe atopic eczema, and the ocean has always been one of my #1 treatments. Sun exposure is also good for me, I have even had a dermatologist tell me to 'go and get a tan' - not advocating sunburn but UV light therapy is also a recognised treatment for eczema, and much cheaper direct from the sun! Just make sure you use a good moisturiser (the QV range work well for me) and be careful about diving in swimming pools or fresh water when you have active flares as infection is much more likely from these sources.
Yeah that helped for me for a time . . .but now as I'm getting older, I'm experiencing frequent flares & stubborn bouts with my Atopica & Allergies in general (getting irritation now even from my mask skirt & wetsuit lately). Having to resort to tapering doses of oral corticosteroids now (Prednisone) to reduce the inflammation.

Steroids are good, but unfortunately a short term solution. I gave up on Dermatologists and went to an immunologist. I'm on my third course of imuran - I take it for 12-18 months and everything comes good for 4 or 5 years, magic stuff.

Steroids are good, but unfortunately a short term solution. I gave up on Dermatologists and went to an immunologist. I'm on my third course of imuran - I take it for 12-18 months and everything comes good for 4 or 5 years, magic stuff.
Thanks! Haven't heard of Imuran (Azathioprine) immunosuppressive for the treatment of Atopica.

A ray of Hope & last resort though --it was the immunomodulator Tacrolimus Ointment (Protopic) which got me off of corticosteroids for nearly 20 years, but now it's not working anymore (tolerance effect?).

The immunologist that first prescribed it for me summarised it as the least toxic of all the immunomodulators, which seems to work fairly selectively on the over active facets of the immune system. As long as your liver can metabolise the drug effectively it is relatively safe at the dosages required for control of allergic disorders.

I get eczema on my palms, fingers and bottom of feet everytime i go on a tropical dive vacation. Anyone have any advice on what i can do to stop it from happening? I get little blisters and then severe peeling. It usually starts to happen around the 3rd day of diving and gets really bad before it gets better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom