Can I pack a reg set with my check-in bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My regs always go in my carryon. Not worried about the pressure but I would hate to lose my rather expensive regs. One of the divers at my LDS had $4000 worth of camera gear stolen going through an airport and I have read more than one report of match rifles and shotguns being stolen at airports....if they can walk out with a long gun, I see no reason they could not make off with a reg. May be just feel good on my part but mine stay with me.

There's one and only one reason not to pack regulators in checked baggage. That's the risk of loss, theft (not the reg per se, but the whole bag), or delay. The highest risk is from temporary loss or delay in your checked luggage arriving at your destination, which could be a real pain if you're diving at the beginning of your trip or meeting a liveaboard. Other than that there's no reason to worry.

BTW- about the only dive equipment I'd say you should never check is a prescription mask.

BTW- about the only dive equipment I'd say you should never check is a prescription mask.

The genuine plastic mask case is more than enough for the checked in baggage.

I put my prescription mask in the checked in baggage all the times...
As long as you put it in the genuine mask case, it is ok.....

But does anyone really have an answer to this?

Nonsense - that's the real answer. (Not sure why some of the responses go on and on...)

Nonsense - that's the real answer. (Not sure why some of the responses go on and on...)

Ditto... I thought everyone already figured it out.

In an ordinary sense, how can'it be possible? A regulator itself is designed to endure the pressure change. I think people is confused with the pressure sensor issue in a dry environment. Even the pressure sensor in any dive computer is OK in the cabin.....

Last edited:
I will have two prescription dive masks...one in each checked bag...That's one item that I can't replace overseas!

Any prescription item should be in carry on. Anything delayed or lost can be rented. Anything except a corrective lensed mask that will allow you to see. If you lose that, you're one mucked funkey. :monkeydance:

Place a copy of your itinerary and contact information "INSIDE" of your bags!

I always put my contact info inside (business card works), but in all the travelling I've done (and it's a LOT!), I've never thought of putting the itinerary inside as well - that's a really useful tip. Thanks!

One other tip is to take a photo of your suitcase. When the airline loses your luggage (and yes, that's a when, not an if!) they'll ask you for a description of it. You'd be surprised how few details you can remember when it's not in front of you.

I carry on all my gear reg/computer/bc/mask and fins I check all my clothes
I can replace the clothes easier and cheap then the dive gear

BUT the resulting force would be in the opposite direction.
Sloppy thinking on my part. In both cases the internal pressure is high relative to external. Even less reason to be concerned.

Back
Top Bottom