Can I pack a reg set with my check-in bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tha Unless the Bag falls off the plane in flight, it is almost never Å*ost? Go visit the lost baggage area at an airport and you will see that they know WHERE all the bags are. They just donÃÕ know WHO they belong to. The Bags arenÃÕ lost, the owners are!

There are other possibilities.

Some frineds of ours went on a trip-of-a-lifetime golf outing to Scotland. Their golf bags were apparently never loaded on the plane, and they spent the first three days playing with some very inferior rental clubs. Fortunately their own sets arrived just before they played the Old Course at St. Andrews.

My wife and I took a trip in which our plane tried and failed to take off twice (quite thrilling, BTW) before the airline gave up and put us on another plane on another airline. It took two days for our bags to arrive.

I am most likely to carry my reg in my carry-on for a reason others probably haven't considered. With the new charges for bags, I work hard to get everything into one checked bag. That means carrying some things in my carry-on, which does not get weighed. That usually includes my reg set because it is heavier than a lot of other things and because if there is any delay in my luggage, I have it.

Otherwise I would have no fear of including it in my checked luggage.

There's not one right answer for everyone on to where to pack things. It depends on what all you're carrying, what airline(s) you're flying, and where you are going. For instance, luggage restrictions vary and stuff you can get away with carryon on a US airline, you won't be able to many places in the world. And some places DO weigh carryons. Camera gear can add a twist to things. And fact is your past luck (or lack thereof) and current level of paranoia will understandably have a big influence. I have a general routine that makes sense to ME, but I vary it as needed, and sometimes I pack differently on the way home.

I do make a point of putting full itineraries with dates and contact info in all my bags, checked and carryon, in places it will be found. If they find my stuff I'd like it to meet me on my trip if possible, not get sent home. (As far as home contact info I use a work cell and town, certainly no home info. Enough so if all else fails they can send it to the nearest airport and call.) You can argue with all the other points, but I think good itinerary/contact info is something that makes sense in every circumstance. Doing unique identifying things to luggage and having photos can't hurt either. (Even contact info does not always help. We had bags lost/delayed for a day once because it was on a crappy regional airline where some employees obviously didn't care in the least if bags were lost never mind where. Only got them it back through the persistent nagging of a resort employee who (regularly) did that sort of thing. All the info in the world doesn't help if they just don't want to be bothered.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom