Can I vent a little?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jepuskar
I left my internet business job when I was 26 to go off travelling - I worked as a DM in Western Oz and I can tell you something - it's off my list of career options. But i'm glad that I went and saw for myself - here in Ireland we don't get much of a glimpse of what it's like to have that sort of lifestyle/job. I then lost the plot a bit - spent all my money on gear, a camera, and diving in Indonesia.
So now I'm back at home, my salary's been chopped by 30%, I'm scraping it together to go diving and it'll be a long time before I'm anywhere near financially secure . . . but I feel great :) The experience I've gained is going to keep me alive.

Upside: you see it for yourself and get great experience and have a great adventure to look back on
Downside: you work like a dog, you don't make any money and you start missing the days when you could dive for your own enjoyment

Compromise - go on an intensive adventure but there's probably no need to go off to the far side of the planet and spend everything you have like I did! Try to have something to fall back on.

jepuskar once bubbled...
I had no problem with winter for the last 26 years, until now...after doing about 40+ dives in Bonaire within the last 4-5 months..I have seen the way.

How long of being on the beach, poor and sunburnt before you kick yourself in the but for leaving a good job?

Hey Spectre and O ring. Last weekend was the best skiing so far this year at Nakiska (Cdn Rockies) and it's only 50 min. from home. The problem is the diving is 12 hours away. Oh, sorry to bring it up Spectre. I hope the knee is healing okay and I know you will be killin them on the slopes next year.

Ohhh, just wait, the diving is only 2 hours away. I just talked with the NPS staff and they tell me the ice is of off Waterton lake. Cool!
Waterton National Park

I'll be diving this weekend in open water! Ok check the gear, Large forced air propane heater, check; Warm holiday trailer, check; generator, check; every warm item of clothing, check; dive gear, check. That's it man were diving this weekend.

The only reason it is a good job is because I am happy with what I am making.

Unfortunately, money is always a factor in deciding what we can or cant do. I realize I need to money to do some of things I am talking about...so for now I will hang low...try and save money in between diving vacations and see what happens.

I might circulate my resume on a couple of the islands.....it cant hurt. I'm thinking of renting a plane and doing a resume drop.

Dr. Charles Warhammer, "it never hurts to vent!"

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
Hey Spectre and O ring. Last weekend was the best skiing so far this year at Nakiska (Cdn Rockies) and it's only 50 min. from home. The problem is the diving is 12 hours away.

Here I am already dealing with the fact that I've gotten about 8 inches of snow over the last 5 days, and you toss this in there also. Thanks buddy. :peace:

I hope the knee is healing okay

Only one thing on my mind currently... 69 hours 'til the drill.

After high school I didn't go to college right away. I sometimes regret it because I figure I would have got a jumpstart on life but at the same time those were some of the best years of my life. I lived at home until I was 21 (for free) and I kept a job here in there just funding my travels and adventurous good times. I didn’t make much money at the time because it was part time here or there and jobs that didn’t pay that well. I may not have realized it at the time but I was living the life many dream of. I was a free spirit and that you can’t put a value on. As you get older you spend countless hours making money to one day be free, go figure. I had the freedom to come and go. No chains holding me down. No obligations. No responsibility. No one to worry about. Just me and what ever came my way. Life was good. Not just good, it was great! The years have quickly passed and now there is a wife of 11 years and my favorite buddy is about to turn five. Oh and yes Mom and Dad aren’t paying my way anymore, I am. I now push the grindstone of life and plan when I/We will take the next vacation. Now it comes down to when we can afford the next vacation because there is the mortgage, ah and we just bought a minivan (who would of ever thought I would have bought a minivan), new windows for the house, did I say we also have to put a way for Junior? The realities of life set in.
Truth is I wouldn’t change what I have for the world (wife/son). God has really blessed me. I have been a fortunate man. I would how ever love to take my blessings elsewhere. I like yourself Jep (same climate) have always hated the weather here ever since I was a little boy and I have felt for years that I belong elsewhere. That is one of my gripes........ Sooooooooo Young JEPUSKER if you are feeling those feelings of resentment towards your immediate environment then you should take a chance in your young life. You are the perfect candidate! You are young, you have no chains, and you want to test the waters of destiny. I say if you feel it inside then do not delay! After all if you go and take a ganders to see if the grass is greener on the other side and it isn’t then what have you lost??? You can always come back to good ole Chicago and shack up with Mom and Dad and go find work in the IT field right?

Most of the regrets you will hear about as you get older young Jep are not about what people did; it is about what they didn’t do.

Good luck.
:wink:

That was a very nice post. Your absolutely right! Right now I don't have much to lose and I know my parents would welcome me back without a blink of the eye...so why not go?

Well, I need to figure out exactly as you said....is this something I really want to do. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but after the novelty wears off, am I really going to want to stay?

I think this depends on whether or not I can land an IT job. I don't see myself wanting to be a DM or instructor at the moment.....although part time might not be soo bad.

I really know what makes me tick and when I make a decision...it will get implemented very quickly. Thinking about this decision makes every single emotion run through me..excitement, fear, etc etc.

Lately I have been talking about taking an extended stay...minimum 3 months somewhere in the Caribbean. I can quit my job and do it....come back and make a decision, or just have my stuff sent to me. :)

Thanks for your post Rooster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom