Can light - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As part of the GUE setup, a "can light" is required. How strong are they, actually? I have a 1,000 lumens light from DRIS for $90. Should I crave a can light?

Thanks,

Bill

I went back and read the OP and think I didn't answer correctly the first time.

To answer your question: you should crave one if you plan on doing dives that require the power and performance of a serious can light. But, since you already own the DRIS 1K, you don't necessarily need one. I wouldn't buy one just to look cool or to be "DIR". I'd buy one because I need the additional performance that a can light can provide over powerful hand-held lights and spare batteries.

Only if your diving "demands" it. I probably wouldn't be caught dead with one since for the same price I could fly to the tropics where one woulds be unnecessary. Those who dive with me, especially at night, say my Sola 1200s are bright enough even on low power... and, best of all, they are redundant.

What kind of diving do you do? I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on a light- but I don't do the kind of diving that needs it.

Brighter is not necessarily always better ... particularly if you're using them for communication with a dive buddy. I once had a DM who owned a 50W HID can light ... I wouldn't allow him to use it during AOW classes because it so overpowered the student's lights that they couldn't signal each other. When purchasing a light, consider who you'll be diving with and buy something comparable ... it'll make it easier for the two of you to use your lights for communication.

I own an old Salvo 21W HID can light ... one of the earliest models. I purchased it in, I believe, 2004. It's been through a couple batteries, a bulb, a switch, three cords, and a reflector replacement ... but it's still functioning well and I'll probably use it for a few more years. But my students are buying Dusty lights for $350 that are brighter than my light. Now, I wouldn't want to take a Dusty light down to 200 feet, or inside a cave ... they're not designed for that purpose. But they're bright, get decent burn time, and replacement batteries are a fraction of the cost of mine ... and you'll never have to replace a bulb, because it doesn't have any. If all you're going to be doing is recreational diving, and in conditions where a bright light is really important, they're a good investment and offer you all the convenience and burn time you'll want in a canister light. And I'm sure there are other comparable models out there to fill that niche.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not GUE, and don't buy into any specific scuba religion, but to me, a can light is like a Flathead V-8. Friggin awesome when it came out, but now its a nostalgia item - it has its nitch uses still, but not an all around go-to solution anymore.

I carry two (yup two) DRIS 1K shorties, w/ the AA battery set up. Don't know they're on my rig. And when I'm not diving they pull house duty, garage duty, hiking/camping duty, Trick or Treat duty etc. You gonna do that with your can light? Just bang-for-the-buck food for thought. YMMV.

As for recreational/open-water divers equipping with canister lights due to 'beginning with the end in mind' - that's just a rip-off. By the time those divers reach a stage of diving development where that can light is necessary, their original can light's battery duration/charge holding will have ground down to nothing...and technology will have probably vastly superseded that light's capabilities anyway...

I still have my original 21W HID light. I've replaced the bulb and changed the ballast so I can use LiIon batteries in it. It's still the light that goes with me on every dive at home, all cave dives, and a lot of tropical daytime dives. I still think, if someone lives where low viz is a fact of life, that buying such a light early in one's diving career is quite reasonable. BUT -- that said, some of the lights like the Solas will do MOST of the job that light does at a significantly lower (but not trivial!) price.

In relation to the OP's original question, I haven't been in the water with one of the DRIS lights, so I don't know what they're like. But anyone diving Monterey regularly should have a very strong and focused light that can cut through murk and allow team signaling. The choice of whether to use a canister or not has more nowadays to do with burn time than light power. I found, when I started this, that it was awfully nice to have a light that would burn through at least two good, long dives in a day without recharging. I made the mistake of buying the small can light and two batteries, and found that changing them out during a dive day was a nuisance. I was much happier when I upgraded to the LiIon that would get through a day's diving without deep discharge.

As part of the GUE setup, a "can light" is required. How strong are they, actually? I have a 1,000 lumens light from DRIS for $90. Should I crave a can light?

Thanks,

Bill

Starting with the DRIS light or any other backup light is the way to go. If you find that your DRIS light doesn't provide burn time/functionality needed for the diving you're doing you can always buy a can light later. Then your DRIS light becomes your backup - no wasted equipment no wasted $$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks,

Bill

Look, despite what the majority will tell you, for night diving and general use they are obsolete. However, for long duration cave, penetration, wreck diving, then yes you need one of some sort. But even then most of the clunkers these guys are toting could be replaced with something much less complicated and large.

But, see, this upsets the universe because without the honking huge and inefficient can light, the can light proponents have no place to tuck their long hoses. This has caused a wave of consternation and confusion and much hand wringing amongst the devoted minions of conformity. So, now they have a fake can light. Yes, they actually sell a fake can light. This, I am sure, will require a meeting of the gurus to discuss and decide what the new order in the universe shall be and then pass down from the mountain a new commandment for those followers of the three letter acronym.

I am thinking one could rig another means of securing the hose including perhaps a holster for a modern, efficient LED, no umbilical cords needed.

N

Last edited:
I went through a similar situation as you last year. I did my GUE primer course and ended up switching a lot of my gear around. I didn't know if a canister light was necessary. I went on a few dives with local GUE members and they all have HID explorers. I thought my UK SL4 LED was plenty bright beforehand, but after seeing it side by side with HID canister lights it was a total joke. The HID canister lights are INCREDIBLY bright, and penetrate MUCH further making communication easier.

That being said I didn't want to spend $1500+ on a light, especially since there's bound to be something better (LED) on the horizon. I ended up buying a Halcyon EOS Mini and absolutely love it. It's brighter than most LED canister lights, although it does not penetrate as far as an HID. But, it's small and you can easily travel with it. For most diving applications it is perfect. If you require longer burn times in the future they are coming out with a canister adapter so you can plug the lighthead in for more burn time.

Bill, As far as I know, a canister light is only required if your aspirations include GUE fundamentals with a technical pass. If a technical pass is your goal, you should probably invest in a canister light.

In any case, the DRIS lights are a great value. I own both the shorty and regular versions purchased prior to getting a canister light. The shorty is my "in water" backup light while the regular DRIS is mounted on a goodman handle for those situations where I can't or don't dive with a canister light.

If you dive with the local GUE group, you'll find your light is a very useful tool for buddy awareness. You don't need a constant visual check on your buddy if you can see their spotlight on the reef or the glow of their light next to you. For this purpose, the DRIS light is just adequate - it does have a nice tight beam for signaling. In my experience, it lacks the punch of a good canister light and does not have sufficient burn times for extended duration dives. Besides that, I find the length of the full size DRIS to be awkward when mounted on a goodman handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom