Can light - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^ Well put.

You are not going to be after a Tech Pass that also requires doubles, a can light and TWO backup lights, along with a DSMB and spool (You should be carrying an SMB already).

I would only trade my Salvo 21watt HID, for an LED version, but see no need. It is my primary light and my 1,000 lumen light lives on my shoulder harness.

Many of the people saying no need for a flashlight let alone a bright light have no idea what cold dark water diving is like, or at least don't do it routinely. Warm water diver "Yeah vis sucked today it was only 25 feet". North Coast diver "Vis was awesome today we had 15 feet!"

Bill, you should stick with what you got for now, and get your own drysuit.

I use a Halcyon waist belt pocket to route the long hose under, on my singles rig. When diving singles, on the normal daytime dive, I don't use my can light.

At other times of the year, when our water get pretty green and murky, then I use my 21W HID.

I think the technology is rapidly changing; unless you need 4-6 hr. burn times, there will soon be canister-free lights that will cover most dives just fine.

I've tried the Halcyon EOS Mini on a half-a-dozen dives, and was pretty impressed with it. I'm kind of waiting to see what else comes out over the next year, before I pick up a can-free light.

This is why I could never be a part of a XYZ team because about the third time somebody flicked one of those underwater spot lights into my eyes I might have to choke them with the cord or at least draw my non-compliant Sea Hawk and slice the cord. Try that with a butter knife.

N

Look, despite what the majority will tell you, for night diving and general use they are obsolete. However, for long duration cave, penetration, wreck diving, then yes you need one of some sort. But even then most of the clunkers these guys are toting could be replaced with something much less complicated and large.

But, see, this upsets the universe because without the honking huge and inefficient can light, the can light proponents have no place to tuck their long hoses. This has caused a wave of consternation and confusion and much hand wringing amongst the devoted minions of conformity. So, now they have a fake can light. Yes, they actually sell a fake can light. This, I am sure, will require a meeting of the gurus to discuss and decide what the new order in the universe shall be and then pass down from the mountain a new commandment for those followers of the three letter acronym.

I am thinking one could rig another means of securing the hose including perhaps a holster for a modern, efficient LED, no umbilical cords needed.

N

You overstate that a bit; but it was pretty funny.:wink:

---------- Post added December 27th, 2013 at 12:52 PM ----------

Most just use a waist belt pocket, pretty simple actually. It's hardly the way that you describe.
I didn't realize that those long hoses still caused so much angst.:cool2:

I had the same questions you did prior to buying a can light. But I really enjoyed my 10W HID and thought it made night diving better. Last year when ballasts for the 10W were no longer available I switched over to a LED which hopefully will be less of a maintenance hog than the HID. The canister really is a bit of a historical artifact at this point and probably dates back to the 1990s when heavy batteries and halogen lamps were used. Lithium batteries and LEDs have really changed things. Technology is changing so fast I’d hold onto what you have if you are happy with it. Maybe in a year or two we will have 1500 lumen hand held lights with long enough duration for single dive. But for boat dives we typically get 3 plus hours of dive time in. At least so far a canister is needed to last that long between charges. If you dive with a camera (the other money pit) you can mitigate the need for a can light by using other lighting options like focus lights.

This is why I could never be a part of a XYZ team because about the third time somebody flicked one of those underwater spot lights into my eyes I might have to choke them with the cord

Part of the training is learning not to shine your light in anyone's eyes. There is a whole etiquette of light use when you are diving light-dependent teams.

It's funny, but I don't remember having any problems with my hose when I did my recent trip to Maui without a can light . . .

Part of the training is learning not to shine your light in anyone's eyes. There is a whole etiquette of light use when you are diving light-dependent teams.

It's funny, but I don't remember having any problems with my hose when I did my recent trip to Maui without a can light . . .

Its real weird. I don't have problems with them either. Strange...

Neither do I. I own a HOG 21 watt HID and a Salvo 12 watt LED canister. They see duty depending on the dive. When vis is not so bad around here (say 15 -20 feet or better) the Salvo is fine. In bad vis or wrecks I am taking the HID. Makes things easier in a number of ways. For back ups I use a couple Dorcy 220's but also have a Morph with a video head now. I am considering selling the Salvo and getting the Morph core system to use with the Sidemount rigs though. Especially the Dive Rite LT tech rig. That would be a way to travel with the rig and still have the 8 hour burn time for the light. The Salvo has right around 5. The HID is rated at 4.5 hours. And I just like the way it cuts through the murk in our local waters.

Not everyone on a night dive enjoys having a welding arc running next to them even if it is not shown directly in their eyes. The best night dives I have done were in shallow, clear water, under the light of a large moon. Those were magic, no artificial lighting allowed or needed.

N

The speed with which LED and battery technology is progressing, the concept of canister lights will soon become irrelevant for all but the most expeditionary, long-duration cave dives.

As for recreational/open-water divers equipping with canister lights due to 'beginning with the end in mind' - that's just a rip-off. By the time those divers reach a stage of diving development where that can light is necessary, their original can light's battery duration/charge holding will have ground down to nothing...and technology will have probably vastly superseded that light's capabilities anyway...

I only can agree to this statement: canister lights are out-dated as LEDs consume far less A/h produce far more light [lux per watts] than the stone edge technology of lambs with bulbs. LED lambs are safer as there are many LEDs on one chip and there are models with up to four chips in one reflector providing different color and even flashing mode. Since the battery technology advanced especially in the field of Li Ion technology you can buy torches with rechargeable Li akku wich are small enough to go on your hand/pocket and have a burn time longer than an old fashioned canister lamb. Entanglement is an other issues with canister lights, too

Regards
Alex@nder

Back
Top Bottom