Can only dive 50ft, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They seem to be holding up to the 15 psi of pressure they are exposed to every day just fine!

At 1000 feet the pressure will be around 460 psi. people have dived to that depth on SCUBA. How do their ribs survive that?

Actually, I think there are plans in the works to test this, a freedive to 1000 ft some time in the future.

I'd bet they train for many years to develop the skill to take in just the right amount of gas to balance the pressure inside the lungs with the water pressure; leaving no pressure imbalance on their ribs. I wish I could learn to do that.
For those of you whose sarcasm meters are not functioning properly....

I believe AWAP is actually suggesting that people who are planning to repeat advice related to the supposed impact of increasing pressure on the integrity of the rib cage should first read through the rest of the thread before posting.

50ft is about 15m which is the most beautiful range(depth) for corals. Go for it.

I will leave the medical issue to the expert.

Although I no longer have my dive logs from the 60s and 70s, I think my maximum depth during that period was about 90 ft and my usual dives were to no more than 50-60 ft. I found them very rewarding. In fact, it wasn't until the last decade that I regularly began diving past 100 ft to a maximum of 200 ft, and that was for the specific purpose of filming "deep ecology."

I haven't read through all of the posts but, in my opinion if you were limited to only 50ft. it is still more than worth it.In fact like many others have said you see a majority in 20-40 feet of water.
Also I would call DAN at minimum and ask their opinion, I had a traumatic eye injury last year and my Dr. said diving would be limited, I got a second opinion and yes,even called DAN as well. Guess what no restrictions on diving, so had I listened to just my Dr. I would be sitting in a dark room with all my gear around me,bone dry with a gun to my head(JOKING).
Also an eyeball is subject to be affected by pressure changes more than bone so I would be getting another opinion. Either way I wish you the best....

OK I will throw my "2 cents in". 99% of the colorful underwater reef video that you see is taken at depths less than 50 feet. SO IT IS DEFINITELY WORTH DIVING IN SHALLOW WATER...

BUT

Your situation is pretty unique, and since you have the doc's approval and if DAN reps give you the go ahead, I would do a Discover SCUBA Dive or some other Trial Dive which will allow you a max depth of 40'. See how that goes and determine if you are comfortable doing it.

I would do this before sinking a lot of time and effort into getting certified.

I have not read the entire thread either.

My answer would be once the doc says it is ok..then yes. I like the Discover Scuba idea as well.

I am cleared to go to 130 feet, no problems there. But with sinus/allergy/ear issues I like to keep it under 70 feet. MY choice. I equalize often.

After a middle ear barotrauma a couple of years ago, I see my ENT twice a year for checkups, whether I need it or not.

Shallow dives are great fun. Especially the shore dives at Coz.

YES! And you should see a doc that specializes in diving.

I also haven't read the entire thread because I got tired of hearing the same thing over and over again so I skipped to the end. Since this seems to have become more of a poll, let me vote too: get a second medical opinion and, yes, if you can get out there and dive even if limited to < 50ft.

Shallow diving is awesome. Lots of colorful stuff, natural light, long bottom time.

Back
Top Bottom