Can someone explain to me what the h*ll this is about??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This right here should show how much they know about technical diving....

I'll be the first to admit, I'm nowhere near technical, but this paragraph suggests someone has really missed the boat

------What will you do in the PADI DSAT Tec Deep Diver course-----

After successful completion of the DSAT Tec Deep Diver course you'll be able to conduct gas-switch extended no-decompression dives, decompression dives and accelerated decompression dives using air and enriched air to a depth of 50 metres/165 feet. You'll also understand the hazards and risks involved in technical diving, as well as how to prepare for and handle reasonable foreseeable technical diving emergencies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My love for PADI grows every day....

Mike,

You're correct that those were the entrance requirements.

But even so, don't you think a "bit" more experience might be in order here?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I agree that the pictures are a joke but the add doesn't give the requirements to become an instructor. It gives the requirements to begin training (I guess that's what it is)

I have the standards and from mem

270 dives
25 staged decompression dives below 130 ft
nitrox instructor
deep diver instructor
have certified at least 10 divers in deep and/or nitrox

assist with at least two tech classes one of which must be the full tech level (the other one can be the apprentice class).

Take the written exam (given at IE's)

Have a peer skill evaluation form filled out by a PADI instructor who holds an equivilant level certification

Hold an equivilant level cert yourself or take the instructor course.

I might have missed some things but my manual is packed cuz we're moving.

If you guys are really interested in picking apart the standards (like I am LOL) you really should get hold of the actual standards so you hvae a clue what you're arguing about. Besides that I'll bet some of you have read threads before where I've posted the instructor requirements. I've done it a bunvh of times both here and TDS.

Allen42 once bubbled...
I'll bet you can learn to be a pilot from a guy with a "minimum of experience".

There are plenty of examples of very experienced but terrible instructors. There are plenty of examples of inexperienced, but very good instructors.

I'm not sure what bashing a picture or organization does for the sport of diving. If you wanna improve things, I suggest you contact PADI Tec politely, and tell them your observations and what it means to your impressions of their offerings.

FWIW, what's wrong with kneeling on a sandy bottom? C'mon people, let's *promote* the scuba community.

There is so much wrong with this it is unreal. Forgive me if this comes out harsh...I just have a major problem with the mentality of "if you can dive, you can DM, if you can DM you can instruct, if you can instruct you can instruct tech". No! Wrong! Tech diving is NOT for everyone (PADI got that part right in their literature, just not in practical application it seems).

1.) Yeah, when you become a pilot or a pilot instructor you take your test from an INDEPENDENT body not the school who trained you.

2.) Sure you can teach a university course and know nothing about the subject...doesn't make it right...in fact it's quite pathetic. Hence the reason for checking your prof's bio prior to signing up for the course.

3.) If you are going to teach "technical" diving...you had better know what you are doing from having done it over and over and over again in a variety of environments WITHOUT STUDENTS or in a CLASSROOM setting.

4.) If an agency ANY agency puts out a program which is asking for Dawin's stepchildren to become an instuctor of technical (ie. overhead) diving, then we as divers have a duty to call it for what it is in hopes that someone who doesn't do their research isn't thrust upon a one year wonder who gets them killed. Ask your LDS this question...sure you are willing to accept students as Tech Instructors but would YOU hire them to teach with the bare minimum experience? Would you trust your friends and family with them?

5.) Go back and re-read/examine the ad...if you honestly don't know what's wrong with kneeling on the bottom in a tech course you don't understand tech diving very well...it ain't done in twenty feet.

Without mentioning any agencies by name...I know of one agency which REQUIRES all their instructors to dive OUTSIDE of the classroom a minimum number of dives a year at a level ABOVE that which they are teaching.

In the "adventure sport" arena...experience counts in an instructor.

I'm also a rock climber, have done mountaineering and whitewater kayak. In each circumstance, the experience of the instructor combined with a phenomenal teaching style was crucial.

I learned how to lead climb on 5.7 granite cracks from a guy who lead climbs 5.13D-5.14A. He walks up 5.10 cracks in his approach shoes. I looked into the requirements for him to become a certified rock guide...intense! He had to show ability far above what he was instructing and be examined by an outside group who made him "on-sight" climbs of their chosing. He also had to submit a climbing resume demonstrating his abilities and be open to have the veracity of his resume challenged.

I learned to kayak from a guy who has been doing it for over thirty years. He demonstrated skills and a river running resume which included hundreds of Class 5 plus rapids. His students were on the National team, Olympic team and he has kayakers from around the world come to him for his experience and expertise.

What's my point?

For these two instructors, teaching "introductory" to "advanced" courses in their respective sports is easy for them as they have skills and experience far far above what they are demonstrating to their students. Did I trust them with my life? You bet...because I knew that for them what they were teaching me (as hard and frightening as it was for me) was reflex. They had been actively doing way way harder stuff.

My fear in diving is that many agencies push certification and classes to make money, not to make good instructors.

One more note...I have NOT made any comments on the course itself, the learning materials or the instructors themselves. My criticism is directed at those who would push the instructor rating for technical diving on divers with such bogus credentials/requirements.

Edit to add: I realize that in order to actually become an instructor under this program, many more dives etc. are required. The problem is that if you look at the bigger picture of the "dive instructor mill" mentality it is almost a stated purpose of the agency to sell more certifications. In typical NDL diving, you should "technincally" be able to ascend directly to the surface if there is a problem, once you start adding a ceiling to the mix things can go squirrely real quick. I agree with DD that if your AD for tech instructors demonstrates this clearly a misconception/misrepresentation of what it entails then someone needs to reexamine the "image" that they are portraying.

I think you've missed the point.

I understand your point perfectly....you've missed mine. Why b**ch about it here? It serves no purpose other than to make one's self feel better. "Hey guys, look at that, that's wrong! ... Am I right? Huh?" Instead, like I said, contact the source of the problem and work towards some change. Like my daddy said, "Quit yer b**chin, and DO something about it."

Bull****!! Example?
Professor Sims. C++, Java. Received credit for the classes by taking orals from department head & dropping attendance of class. Apparently, a Masters in Comp Science is good enough to teach any CS class, regardless of familiarity with the language itself.

I'm not a tech diver, and don't play one on TV. I'm not trying to defend or endorse PADI standards... I'm trying to put the brakes on destructive conversations.

As far as being silly... I think you expect too much from marketing folks. Do you expect to meet the gals in the resort ads when you arrive as well? Do you actually believe certain brand products make you sexier? Do you reply to your spam?

When statistics show that a particular agency's licensees start having more then a representative ratio of diver injuries and fatalities, then I think there's a quality issue. If you disagree, take it up with *them* and spend your time here helping each other out.

Bwerb, I agree with almost all that you've said, and sure I understand why an instructure might say "We will not rest on the bottom in this class, ever. You all should know how to do all your skills while neutral." I also can accept an instructur that says he wants people on a non-silt bottom for a reason. That wasn't my point, and I shouldn't have said it, I suppose. To be honest, I haven't read the ad; I'm much more interested in truly understanding why so much energy is spent in this and other forums tearing things down instead of being helpful.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Mike,

You're correct that those were the entrance requirements.

But even so, don't you think a "bit" more experience might be in order here?

Yes. In fact, if you look at the requirements of any of the tech agencies I think they'll be similar. I'm not including GUE in that because I don't know their requirements.

I wouldn't know what experience requirements would really be adequate. I do know that after 25 technical dives there's a bunch you haven't seen but does that mean you're not able to effectively present the material and conduct the program? I don't know. All I know is the decission I made for myself. I by far exceed the requirements and would only need to take a written test to teach it. It wouldn't take much for me to get signed off with IANTD either but I don't feel I have enough experience and have no immediate plans to teach beyond 130 ft (especially on air).

I'm more concerned with the requirements to teach recreational classes. Instructor candidates are going to the quarry and doing 10 dives a day to get the 100 dives they need to become an instructor. This is where divers are tought to dive. Once the basics are learned going a little deeper for a little longer isn't much of a stretch.

I think the reason that pictures like that make it to print (look at any dive magazine) is because of the shortcuts being taken with entry level students and instructors. people should be laughing but they're not and I think that's messed up.

Allen42 once bubbled...

I understand your point perfectly....you've missed mine. Why b**ch about it here? It serves no purpose other than to make one's self feel better. "Hey guys, look at that, that's wrong! ... Am I right? Huh?" Instead, like I said, contact the source of the problem and work towards some change. Like my daddy said, "Quit yer b**chin, and DO something about it."

Well maybe since the agencies won't listen, as long as their classs sell and their pro members are able to sell enough equipment to keep scubapro and aqualung happy, maybe we can educate a few divers. I've been directly involved for a while and there isn't any sign of change and nobody is listening. As an instructor I find the vast majority of training I see is a real embarassment.
I'm not a tech diver, and don't play one on TV. I'm not trying to defend or endorse PADI standards... I'm trying to put the brakes on destructive conversations.

These conversations are not the source of the damage or the silt.
When statistics show that a particular agency's licensees start having more then a representative ratio of diver injuries and fatalities, then I think there's a quality issue. If you disagree, take it up with *them* and spend your time here helping each other out.

That won't happen because one agency seems as poor as the next. Their student look equally as poor in the water as well. Not to mention the fact that their graduates don't know what's wrong with sitting all over the bottom.
Bwerb, I agree with almost all that you've said, and sure I understand why an instructure might say "We will not rest on the bottom in this class, ever. You all should know how to do all your skills while neutral." I also can accept an instructur that says he wants people on a non-silt bottom for a reason. That wasn't my point, and I shouldn't have said it, I suppose. To be honest, I haven't read the ad; I'm much more interested in truly understanding why so much energy is spent in this and other forums tearing things down instead of being helpful.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Why are there pictures of instructor students kneeling in the sand???????

Because they are incompetent and unwilling train properly.

The agencies seem to think that it is ok to simply sit on the bottom rather than learn bouyancy.

I also think that part of the problem is that many Instructors don't have any bouyancy control and are therefore unable to teach it. Sad but true.

Allen42 once bubbled...

To be honest, I haven't read the ad; I'm much more interested in truly understanding why so much energy is spent in this and other forums tearing things down instead of being helpful.

...the reason this is a bit of a hot button is that "technical diving" is not just another "logical step in the chain" of dive courses.

My own personal fear is that the potential for fatalities and serious accidents increases immensely if the same attitude towards OW instruction is taken to the technical realm.

I personally couldn't care less how people dive, chose to dive, configure their gear, etc. (providing they don't damage the environment) but...I care deeply for the unwary student who perhaps may only have dealt with a single LDS from the time of their OW...and may not be aware that they are in danger.

My concern is for those who don't know what they don't know. I think it is reasonable to get a bit riled-up when you can see the potential for permanant damage. It becomes a responsibility to raise the alarm and ask the hard questions.

The people who are currently debating on this thread are NOT the people who log on to SB to raise he#, they are the ones who are dedicated and concerned for divers being educated safely and competently.

Mike,
You mentioned not being familiar with GUE requirements... here is a link that will help...http://www.gue.com/classroom/index.shtml

Made me think of posting this because I thought I caught a dialog about you joining Brandon and Scott (AKA The Scubaguys) for some evaluation dives?

Don

bwerb once bubbled...

...the reason this is a bit of a hot button is that "technical diving" is not just another "logical step in the chain" of dive courses.

My own personal fear is that the potential for fatalities and serious accidents increases immensely if the same attitude towards OW instruction is taken to the technical realm.

I personally couldn't care less how people dive, chose to dive, configure their gear, etc. (providing they don't damage the environment) but...I care deeply for the unwary student who perhaps may only have dealt with a single LDS from the time of their OW...and may not be aware that they are in danger.

My concern is for those who don't know what they don't know. I think it is reasonable to get a bit riled-up when you can see the potential for permanant damage. It becomes a responsibility to raise the alarm and ask the hard questions.

The people who are currently debating on this thread are NOT the people who log on to SB to raise he#, they are the ones who are dedicated and concerned for divers being educated safely and competently.
Awesome, I feel safer already. Thanks Bwerb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom