Can someone tell me what the heck this is all about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Too me there's a difference between puting a hand on something to pull or for reference in a current
Putting a hand on something dead!
Railing, rock, rope.... never coral or sponge.

jepuskar once bubbled...
You guys can really suck the life out of any humor minded post.....it is kind of depressing...no, it is depressing.
Nah, what's depressing is that there's an agency out there that trying to improve diving and all the vast majority of folks, who have no idea of exactly how bad their diving skills are, simply attack it over and over and over and over and over and over...

Well, you get the point. Rather than improving diving, you fight any improvement tooth and nail.

Now THAT'S depressing.

You don't know what you don't know, and as long as you're content to denigrate rather than learn, you'll never know what you're missing.

Yhea, really depressing. Pretty darn stupid too, if you ask me.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

Nah, what's depressing is that there's an agency out there that trying to improve diving and all the vast majority of folks, who have no idea of exactly how bad their diving skills are, simply attack it over and over and over and over and over and over...
Yea, really depressing. Pretty darn stupid too, if you ask me.

Roak

I agree with everything you've said...bravo!

Add the complicit certification agencies "dumbing down" of the curriculum in order to pump through more divers and offer more classes and it gets downright pitiful...add the vehement denial of many LDS's that they are in any way contributing to the problem and it closes in on the "Twilight Zone".
:(

...and then the two camps can beat each other to death with weight belts, for all I care.

roakey once bubbled...

Well, you get the point. Rather than improving diving, you fight any improvement tooth and nail.

Now THAT'S depressing.

You don't know what you don't know, and as long as you're content to denigrate rather than learn, you'll never know what you're missing.

Roak

What's the difference between a GUE/DIR diver and a member of PETA?

The member of PETA isn't quite as obnoxious in ramming their agenda down the throats of divers who are not interested in it.

Do you ever wonder why those of us who are not interested are not interested? Let's see, you call us stupid, you say we are bad divers, you insult the agency's we trained with, (and, in some cases, work for), and generally say that you are superior to us.

Wow, I can't imagine why anyone would go on the defensive.

Whirling Girl once bubbled...
George and the WKPP crew have earned the right to say whatever they want about divers who are not, in their opinion, worthy of diving with them, though it's a bit obnoxious for the rest of us.

Earned the right? No, the US Constitution gives them that right, but it also gives me the right to decry them as elitest, obnoxious, wanna-be cult leaders/gurus.

It never ceases to amaze me how, if someone takes the time to write something down, and print it in a reasonable professional manner, a hoard will accept it as gospel. (Look at the diet fads, every year a new one comes out, contradicting the one that was all the rage last year. And people buy it.) Drink the kool-aid? It seems most of the acolytes guzzled it. Try thinking for yourself, you may find it a refreshing change, and maybe, just maybe, you will come up with the next big thing.

I don't require someone else to validate how I configure my gear. I'm the one diving it, not them. Do I think I'm the Second Coming of Cousteau or Exley? NO. Nor do I think there is nothing I can learn from any diver. If I see you doing something that is neat, whether technique or configuration, I'll ask you about it, and, if it works for me, apply it and/or use it. Someone fresh out of OW may have learned a new trick that I don't know, and I'm happy to learn from him or her.

DIR indeed.
The very name reeks of elitism and snobbery at best; a dive cult, in the bad sense of the word, at worst.

I'm a diver. Period. :upset:

Oh, and one other thing, I, and I suspect most of the divers on this board, are not attacking GUE/DIR. There are very solid principles there that I will explore.

I, at any rate, am attacking the obnoxious drones who attack me, and the way I dive,(Oh, you're PADI Rescue diver? Well, everyone knows that those guys aren't any good.), and remind me of nothing more than the Borg from Star Trek.

You will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.

In closing, I'll leave you with this thought;

If you don't want to be attacked,

SHUT UP!:mean:

PhotoTJ once bubbled...
...and then the two camps can beat each other to death with weight belts, for all I care.

What's the difference between a GUE/DIR diver and a member of PETA?

The member of PETA isn't quite as obnoxious in ramming their agenda down the throats of divers who are not interested in it.

Do you ever wonder why those of us who are not interested are not interested? Let's see, you call us stupid, you say we are bad divers, you insult the agency's we trained with, (and, in some cases, work for), and generally say that you are superior to us.

Wow, I can't imagine why anyone would go on the defensive.

Earned the right? No, the US Constitution gives them that right, but it also gives me the right to decry them as elitest, obnoxious, wanna-be cult leaders/gurus.

It never ceases to amaze me how, if someone takes the time to write something down, and print it in a reasonable professional manner, a hoard will accept it as gospel. (Look at the diet fads, every year a new one comes out, contradicting the one that was all the rage last year. And people buy it.) Drink the kool-aid? It seems most of the acolytes guzzled it. Try thinking for yourself, you may find it a refreshing change, and maybe, just maybe, you will come up with the next big thing.

I don't require someone else to validate how I configure my gear. I'm the one diving it, not them. Do I think I'm the Second Coming of Cousteau or Exley? NO. Nor do I think there is nothing I can learn from any diver. If I see you doing something that is neat, whether technique or configuration, I'll ask you about it, and, if it works for me, apply it and/or use it. Someone fresh out of OW may have learned a new trick that I don't know, and I'm happy to learn from him or her.

DIR indeed.
The very name reeks of elitism and snobbery at best; a dive cult, in the bad sense of the word, at worst.

I'm a diver. Period. :upset:

Oh, and one other thing, I, and I suspect most of the divers on this board, are not attacking GUE/DIR. There are very solid principles there that I will explore.

I, at any rate, am attacking the obnoxious drones who attack me, and the way I dive,(Oh, you're PADI Rescue diver? Well, everyone knows that those guys aren't any good.), and remind me of nothing more than the Borg from Star Trek.

You will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.

SHUT UP!:mean:

I couldn't agree more, for all the deaf ears on which you words fell, I hear you...

roakey once bubbled...

Now THAT'S depressing.

Roak

A person tries to have fun with a picture, and you analyze it to death. I have to agree that THAT IS depressing. Opinionated is one thing. That it why I can deal with Mike F. more quickly I can than some of you. Arrogant is completely another thing. At least, he tends to avoid general comments that establish this as an "us vs. them" debate. Read what you write before you hit post! See why people want to distance themselves from the more vocal GUE/ DIR people. I, for one, don't want to spend my diving weekend with someone who thinks that they know the only way to "Do It Right." I dive to HAVE FUN. If I am not doing it perfectly, I am learning. As long as I am safe, I will always accept tips to improve. I will not accept a lecture on how I am unsafe because I don't do it your way.

Get the point: not everybody wants to dive BP and W, long hose, etc. and go to boot camp to learn to dive! Other configurations came about because somebody liked something about them. I know that this doesn't apply to everybody that dives DIR. But, many of the ones that we see here are so full of their apparent diving knowledge and that they feel that they have found the perfect diving system, that I wouldn't find it pleasant to be around them. I dive to hover in the water, watch fish, look at wrecks, and play around. I DO NOT wreck the environment (ie. grab things, kick up the bottom). I DO NOT endanger myself and my dive buddy. Most importantly, I DO NOT dive past my current limits.

To the DIR kids who want to stay in the clubhouse and point fingers because we don't wish to be part of your "in-crowd": stay there, keep your smart-aleck comments to yourselves and enjoy each other's company.

To the DIR people who are reasonable: I am cool with what you dive and as long as you don't tell me how to dive, let's ask each other questions. We both will probably learn something as we have different experiences in life to color them. Let me know when you want to dive.

To Diversaurus, PhotoTJ and the others: You know how to PM me. I am normally up for a dive if you ever happen to wander by Central Michigan. If you need a buddy, let me know.

PhotoTJ once blathered...
[BThe member of PETA isn't quite as obnoxious in ramming their agenda down the throats of divers who are not interested in it.

SHUT UP!:mean: [/B]
Ok, for the small-minded people unable to grasp simple concepts, may I point out that the attack on DIR is in the base note. Then, when responses are posted, the whining starts about us responding to the attack and we're told to shut up.

Isn't THAT rich.

I mean think about it, one can hardly ask someone to shut up when they're RESPONDING to an unprovoked attack, can you?

Oh, wait a minute, that's what PhotoTJ just did. Bizarre...

As usual, we're on the defensive (for those thick headed individuals, that means you're usually on the offensive, just to make this point clear). If you want to have a rational debate, present one. If you want to keep this kinda tripe going, keep doing the random snipes that the anti-DIR folks are now known in this file for.

You anti-DIR folks can easily manipulate us, because we actually beleive in an approach to diving that we feel makes diving safer, easier and more fun. Short-sighted people that belive in nothing and only belittle can easily make folks who actually care about something (like safety, fun, etc.) rise to the bait.

So it's in your hands: Keep sniping and keep getting threads like this or make rational arguments against our methodology in applicable threads.

Thanks for proving my point, more waste of energy that could have been better spent improving the sport.

In case I haven't been absolutely clear, the existence of DIR threads like this are ENTIRELY in the anti-DIR diver's hands. Stop sniping, and we'll have noting to respond to so it won't happen. Because we MUST come back, again and again and again because we believe in something. To you it's just a amusing pastime. I envy you, posting against something must be so much easier that actually posting for something...

In your case the request to shut up is moot, you aren't listening...

Roak

Ps. The "mean" icon is perfect, thanks for admitting that that's your mind set.

Diverbrian,

Qucikly, we don't tell people how to dive. We tell people how WE dive, you're right, you can dive any way you want.

We'd LOVE to be able to simply reply to threads and say "This is the way we do it, and why."

What causes blowups like this is when the anti-DIR folks simply attack DIR (see the basenote of this thread for an example).

Big, big distinction.

Roak

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Putting a hand on something dead!
Railing, rock, rope.... never coral or sponge.

Good point but even at that we don't just use any rock. Some rock in a cave can be very fragile. We don't use anything that we can damage.

Back
Top Bottom