Can someone tell me what the heck this is all about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey once bubbled...
Diverbrian,

Qucikly, we don't tell people how to dive. We tell people how WE dive, you're right, you can dive any way you want.

We'd LOVE to be able to simply reply to threads and say "This is the way we do it, and why."

What causes blowups like this is when the anti-DIR folks simply attack DIR (see the basenote of this thread for an example).

Big, big distinction.

Roak

You know, Roak, you sound like someone that I may care to know when you try to present your case like that. You aren't insulting anyone and you are being respectful.

Yes, I understand that you come under attack for advocating a different system. I have said this before, tell me what you feel that I am risking and maybe I will take your advice on a change, maybe I will decide that another issue is more important to me.

An example: I use a quick disconnect on my harness for my backplate with my doubles. My instructor is a cave diver and sees it as a potential failure point. Myself, the LDS owner and most his students still use it. We like to be able to get out of our harness more quickly and the chances of that actual point failing are small enought to risk it in our opinion. Neither side is really wrong. It is simply the amount of risk that we are willing to assume.

Diving Nitrox and choosing a mix is a balance between risking oxygen tox and decompression illness. A richer mix being higher towards oxygen toxicity and a leaner mix increasing risks towards DCS.

My point: the individual diver has to choose what risks that he/she wants to run for the reward. If they feel that, fully informed of said risks, the reward is worth it and choose to assume the risk, I may or may not dive with them. But, it is not my job to call them unsafe at that point.

DIR does have some good ideas. It is simply the way some of the people present them on this board as gospel that riles up some of us. Other non-DIR people (like a certain lawyer) like to rile the DIR people up for fun. Still others are every bit as opinionated and aggravating as the "more vocal" DIR crowd and they give the non-DIR people a bad name to people like you.

I am all for rational discussion. Be polite and respectful to me and my friends, I will thank you and be polite and respectful back. I disagree with many people on this board on individual points. That doesn't mean that I don't respect those people, I simply disagree on those points.

Thanks for reading this and please keep it in mind when you are posting. This applies to both the DIR and non-DIR posters.

Thanks for your understanding.

I am regretting even starting this thread...you all got your panties up in a bunch. It was suppose to be a parody of Detroit Diver's thread which I supplied a link to above, but you guys take the cake.

It wasn't suppose to be a cheap shot at GUE...we all know where GUE stands in relation to the other agencies. It was suppose to be humor, but like I said...tough crowd to be humorous around. :rolleyes:

Signed: JEPUSKAR

(who is in a gear transistion....BP/Wing, long hose, non-split fins with spring straps, octo on a bungee necklace)

jepuskar once bubbled...

(who is in a gear transistion....BP/Wing, long hose, non-split fins with spring straps, octo on a bungee necklace)

Had your lobotomy have you?

I want to see what this setup is all about, what better way than to dive it. So far I love my BP/Wing....needs some fine tuning though, but no biggie. I think it is very healthy and educational to try new equipment. I was happy with my jacket BC and debated whether or not to try something new.....but I am all about change and trying new things.

I am a stroke, but thats ok.....I rather be a stroke who trys new things.... :)

jepuskar once bubbled...
I want to see what this setup is all about, what better way than to dive it. So far I love my BP/Wing....needs some fine tuning though, but no biggie. I think it is very healthy and educational to try new equipment. I was happy with my jacket BC and debated whether or not to try something new.....but I am all about change and trying new things.

I am a stroke, but thats ok.....I rather be a stroke who trys new things.... :)
...you are a stroke on the path to righteousness. First comes the BP/Wing, then comes the DIR-F, and then, before you know it, you are a resident of Jonestown.

Here we go again. There are idiots all over. There are rude people all over. I can understand why some DIR folks feel a little cheated by the system because they found out what they were missing. I understand why they feel a little smug also. Certainly that doesn't excuse being rude. Often the non-DIR folk get a little rude also. I suppose it's partly a defensive response. No diver wants to admit their training sucked or that they're not very good. Instructors may also get defensive when forst exposed to some of these ideas.

A fair number of the rude ones on the DIR side are in the ranks of the newly DIRFed. Some are just jerks or wannabes.

In my experience, though, the divers who are the real thing are no harder to take than any one else. MHK, BCS and other of the like don't go around insulting people.

There's a guy we dive with once in a while who is about as DIR as they come. He's also about as easy going as they come. When we talk we talk about the nuts and bolts of diving not about who has the better label.

Since I was a Halcyon dealer I've had a few phone conversations with JJ. Nice guy

But...when a quest guy comes over here just to push folks around I guess o-ring and I'll just tag team em and run em out. LOL

I guess I'll stop since this post doesn't really have a point anyway.

O-ring once bubbled...

...you are a stroke on the path to righteousness. First comes the BP/Wing, then comes the DIR-F, and then, before you know it, you are a resident of Jonestown.

When did you get ordained a minister...did I miss that?? :D

And where/what the hell is Jonestown anyway???

Jep - I highly recommend the DIR-F class...lots of info to go over, and tons of opportunity to ask questions....I too am in gear transition, but am stuck with this financial burden, so I haven't been able to get a plate & wing...or a dry-suit....or...any one of 50 things I want for diving....So I have "big-t engineered" a few things.

Back
Top Bottom