Can spare air reg be threaded on a larger tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We already have enough bashing of spare air, so hopefully we would not do it here. But you have to admit, to fit both a first and second stage on a small part, is very convenient. Second, the adapter let you put it on any tanks to refill. Third, some of us don't want to throw our spare air away, when we upgrade to a larger pony.

Can you thread it on a larger pony tank with the same thread count and diameter? Who makes such tanks?

Any one tried yet?

Can you buy a brass adapter from the hardware store and adapt it to spare air for standard tanks?

fisherdvm:
Can you buy a brass adapter from the hardware store and adapt it to spare air for standard tanks?

Only if you want a quick trip to the ER to have the chunks of brass removed from your eyes . . .

Typical plumbing is only rated for anywhere from a few hundred to maybe 1000PSI. It might hold at 3000PSI, but I sure wouldn't want it anywhere near me.

Terry

Ebay is your friend, and there are newbies wanting to give you money. :D

I'd also caution against it. How easily and for how long do you want to hold a larger tank up to your mouth? I'd highly suggest that if you decide a pony bottle is the right solution to the problem you are trying to solve, invest in a 19 or 30 cf aluminum cylinder and a decent (doesn't have to be top of the line) regulator on a 40" (or there about) hose.

Also, please, please practice with it, dive with, drill deploying it on a regular basis. I've heard numerous stories of divers bolting during an emergency and totally forgetting they had a pony bottle. Make sure you know it's there and how to get to it purely by reaction. Don't just assume everything will be peachy in the event you need to use it. Most likely it won't unless you've practiced regularly.

How easily and for how long do you want to hold a larger tank up to your mouth?
Was my thought, deploying such a contraption would seem a nightmare.

Spare air? Do people really carry those things?

You'd better practice, practice and practice more deploying and using it if you are serious about carrying that piece of junk.

Egads!!

Back
Top Bottom