Can you explain the "Rocket Diver" Syndrom when diving a backplate and wings to me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
In putting together my personal gear configuration, I tried and studied a lot of different types. I chose a backplate and wings for my BCD. The first time I dove a backplate I experienced what I called Rocket Diver. I found that the wing inflated and would force me to the surface, unwillingly, mind you.

At first I thought there was a leak and my BC was filling with air. Then I thought that I was not empting it completely. I tried very hard to figure it out, and was very frustrated and even angry because I have that do it or die trait. Ya know I'm gonna do this and make it work or else. The next time I did not have any trouble with the rig and experienced a heavenly rush with perfect buoyancy and hovering or hanging at different depths. I never had that problem again (Rocket Diver). But, I was concerned with what caused the problem? What was I doing wrong?

Later when SJ took the DIRF class, he experienced the same thing. We have bounced a few ideas around to come to a conclusion but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this even if only when you first began to dive a backplate and just needed to get used to it or can anyone explain what is really going on and is there something that I need to be aware of in the future.

Apparently I worked out the problem or maybe it was the gear, I don't know. But because I don't know I want to learn. I want to make sure I know what is happening and if there is a specific technique that I was unaware that I was doing to cause the problem. I want to dive safely and correctly.

My first idea was that the place we were diving was packed with divers and the environment (and the crowd) did not allow me to dive as horizontally as I normally do. I found myself getting crowded and having to go vertical trying to avoid getting kicked or pushed or something. Not a good scene. Anyway. The other dives with the backplate I was horizontal and I did not experience "Rocket Diver" and shoot off to the surface. If this is the solution, I need to learn more about the corrective procedure. (But I was also very mindful of the air in my BC too.)

This is a concern because I don't plan on diving at 65 - 35 or less feet a lot of the time and Rocket Diver Syndrome could cause a hugh safety issue. Can anyone help me with this? I am looking forward to diving a brand new backplate and wings anytime I dive very soon. (Daddy Warbucks said he was gonna get me the backplate to start me off and I have already called about ordering my wing. : ) I have not had the DIRF class yet but I have read the book, almost in its entirey. I know that this is the gear configuration that DIR uses and teachs with so I am sure I would benefit from the education of the class. But until I have that opportunity, I want to learn from those who have the experience here on the board. This is not a DIR "issue" and I do not want people to get into a DIR war...:wink: But if you have valuable knowledge about this situation and could help me, I would greatly appreciate drawing from your knowledge and experience. I thank you and my buddy thanks you. :D

Raven

Hard to really tell based on the information you provided, but I will hazard a couple of guesses.

Both deal with air trapping.

The first scenario might occur depending on the routing of your hoses. It is *possible* that depending on the type of wing, the position of it in relation to the tank, and the hose routing, that the "collar" of the wing may get pinched partially closed. This may have kept you from properly venting your wing.

The second scenario might deal with getting used to staying in proper trim with a bp/w setup. Until you get your trim right and your wing positioned properly, you might again have air "trapped" in your wing.

In either scenario, as you ascend, not being able to properly vent air could cause a "rocket" ascent. Remember that the greatest change in volume is in the last 33 feet.

Since you didnt include details (unless I overlooked them) at the depths you were at when this "rocket diver" phenomenom occured, it's kinda hard to make any further guesses at this point.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about but the first time I used my BP & Wings I had real trouble descending and kept adding more weight as well as pushing my arms back to force the air out - which I felt was still trapped there.

I used this rig about four or five times and then came back to it about 2 years later - didn't know about STA's and was diving a softpack wing - and it was no problem at all. Bizarre!

Some more facts might help. Are you diving dry or wet? If diving dry are you using dry suit or wing for buoyancy? Assuming you are using the wing for buoyancy does it just happen willy-nilly or is it straight away after you have added air to trim?

Cheers
Jonathan

Thanks for the input.

At the time, I really felt that it was trapped air or a leak and that the problem was that we were in about 35 feet of water (King Springs Crystal River, Fl) but I wasn't sure. If I remember correctly, I was diving a long hose with a necklace. I remember commenting on not having any problem with the extra length on my primary. (See I was very skeptical about the long hose. Partly because I am only 5'3 and I didn't think I would like having 2 extra feet of hose wrapped around my body. To me that didn't seem streamline. I found out after diving a long hose and necklace that that's the kind of reg set I want.:)) I knew the shallow water would try to suck me up but this was nothing like I had ever experienced before and I had worked with my trim to get it just perfect. Then I tried this rig for the first time and man oh man. The very first dive was not fun at all. But, I am glad I didn't toss it aside and forget it because after that it was great. I have had great dreams about diving in a backplate. Yeah I am sick huh? Anyway. The second dive with the backplate was in very shallow water but I had no issues. After all that, smooth diving. :wink: I just want to make sure that I learn to properly use it, especially before I have an issue where I've been playing at 130 ft checking out a wreck and the next thing I know I am in trouble. Ya know? Thanks again. Anythings else? R

Jonathan once bubbled...

Some more facts might help. Are you diving dry or wet? If diving dry are you using dry suit or wing for buoyancy? Assuming you are using the wing for buoyancy does it just happen willy-nilly or is it straight away after you have added air to trim?

Diving wet only. Wing is for buoyancy. A couple times it just happened. Once it happened adding trim. R

Raven - it's funny that you posted this! I was just coming in here to post a question of my own about backplates.

I will post my question separately so we don't get them muddled together.:)

You're putting too much air in your wing. Wing is more effecient than a poodle jacket. Hold your inflator button down half as long as you think you need to, give it time to stabilize.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...
You're putting too much air in your wing. Wing is more effecient than a poodle jacket. Hold your inflator button down half as long as you think you need to, give it time to stabilize.

WW

That's a very good point. Until this time I had only be in a jacket full or back inflate and had been leaning toward a Libra because I preferred the back inflate. But I wanted to try all the "best" stuff. I have tried so many different BCDs it is not funny. But I decided on a BP & W. I prefer them over anything I've tried so far. I wanted to educate myself before deciding and investing though.

It could very well have been my unfamiliarity to the mechanics. I picked up a brand new Halcyon backplate and wings from Extreme Exposure. It was hard to believe that it was the gear and not me. :rolleyes: R

WreckWriter once bubbled...

WW

There are three speeds as far as power inflators go (Low, Medium, High flow) plus you have a lot more wet material to move around. Seems that a lot of wings use a higher flow valve and you just need a lighter touch.

Hey WW where does the term "poodle jacket" come from?

Hall

If you have the correct size wing, air trapping should not be a problem. Since you have a Halcyon setup, I'm guessing you have either the 36lbs or 27lbs wing. Air trapping probably is not the problem then.

You are probably just adding a bit too much air to the wing and not remembering to dump it when your profile becomes shallower. The BP/Wing is going to be a little different than the jacket BC you may have used in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom