Can you get watertight backpacks for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rogajoga

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am new here. I wasn't sure where to put this thread.

I snorkel only

I am based in the UK. Does anyone know if its possible to get a one piece full body wetsuit for under £100

Also I am looking for a rucksack that I can wear while snorkeling. I am looking for one where the inside is watertight. The idea is to walk to the beach with about 4 other people that I will snorkel with. We will all have some sandals, shorts, boxers, t-shirt and a towel. Then get everything off from all four of us and place it all inside the rucksack. Zip it up tight and load it on my back and then into the water and I go and snorkel some distance. Then we all come out of the sea and idea is for all of us to load all 4 pairs of snorkels, masks, fins into this rucksack while we all get dried and changed. Then load everything back into my rucksack and walk back the distance instead of swimming back. Is there any kind of backpack like this that's affordable and not too cumbersome without adding much weight to my back while snorkeling as sometimes I like to take a breath and dive down and don't want the rucksack to keep me afloat. I imagine I would need something like the buoyancy jacket like a scuba diving system? I was even thinking to not bother with the backpack holding snorkels, masks and fins but just our clothes and sandals and towels while staying completely dry while in the water. We would all take it in turns while snorkeling with this rucksack so it doesn't deprive us of our our snorkel experience.

I would really like to hear your opinions on this and the wetsuit

Many thanks in advance

I think £100 is about $200 so the answer is yes...depending on how thick of a wetsuit you wanted, you could probably even find one for around £50 (I've seen full body body-glove wetsuits at sport chalet on sale for $100, 5mm I believe). As far as a waterproof backpack, I've seen them online BUT I have my doubts that they are so waterproof they could be submerged and keep everything dry. Plus, even if they work, they would make you super buoyant so you'd have to either stick to floating on the surface or wear a bunch of lead (not to mention you'd have a ton of drag). If you're set on the waterproof backpack idea and can't find one, you could always put the stuff in a couple of heavy-duty trash bags, zip-tie them shut, then put that in a backpack. OR you could tie some heavy duty string (such as cave line) to the back pack, tie a lead weight to the other end of the string that would sit on the ocean floor; that way the stuff is with you guys, but not in anyones way.

Last edited:
You can get a range of drybags. These are normally more associated with canoeing/kayaking.

These are basic drybags, they're pretty water-tight.. Exped fold dry bag Black 22L: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

Ortlieb makes a higher quality version, but they cost more. I've used these for snorkelling/swimming...and also as water-tight bergan liners (when I was in the military)...

Ortlieb Messenger Bag/Backpack

Ortlieb Stuff Sack

If you need to 'dive down', then be aware that the buoyancy of a bag equates to approx 1kg positive buoyancy per litre of bag capacity (less the weight of any contents). You won't be able to swim down against more than 1-2kg of positive buoyancy. The solution is to put the bag on a line/leash.

Something like this?

w w w . s i m p l y s c u b a . c o m/products/Mares/Reef3mmManWetsuit.aspx

Simon

The idea of a waterproof rucksack to carry dry clothing while swimming is central to the activity of swimhiking, which has a strong connection with the part of the United Kingdom where I live, the North East of England. There's even a book about swimhiking hereabouts: "Swimhiking in the Lake District and North East England" by Peter Hayes:
ef44f96642a040b1108aa110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Swimhiking in the Lake District and North East England: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Hayes: Books
The author has a website where he describes how to make your own swimsac, which is what he calls a waterproof rucksack designed for swimhiking purposes:
swb3.jpg

http://www.swimsac.co.uk/page3.html
He has also been working on the creation of a swimsac for commercial manufacture.

There's a strong minimalist streak among British swimhikers, many of whom shun accessories such as wetsuits and snorkelling gear even when swimming in the cold rivers of Northern England. I do my snorkelling in the North Sea - I don't scuba-dive either - but I wear a vintage drysuit and basic gear when I snorkel from a sandy beach north of Tyneside. I haven't bitten the swimhiking bug but one of my favourite books is "Swimming Free" by Geoffrey Fraser Dutton, who describes his "adventure swimming" forays in lakes, rivers and seas around the UK, clad in a wetsuit, snorkel, mask and fins:
9923169.jpg

His book appeared in 1972, well before Hayes' book, and his use of a suit and basic gear appeals to me much more than the recommendation of the swimming puritans to practise cold acclimatisation techniques, sticking to swimming costumes and swim hats only.

Many thanks everyone for all the replies

DevonDiver wrote: For the wetsuit.... you really need to decide what thickness (mm) you need.

Try these:
wetsuitoutlet

decathlon snorkeling-wetsuit-3446015

(45 quid for a 1 piece 2mm tropical one-piece Tribord wetsuit)
(50 quid for a 1 piece 3mm steamer Tribord wetsuit)
*thicker and/or better 'sealed' wetsuits cost more...[/QUOTE]

Hi DevonDiver,

I have been reading a wetsuit guide on a website called wetsuitmegastore There is lots of very detailed information on there but it does get very confusing. It is to do with surfing whereas I am looking for snorkeling. It does mention a bit about diving.

Anyway after reading loads on that site they say that the wetsuits material neoprene are all mainly made in Japan and even that they all come from the same company. Then I imagine all these manufacturers around the world make their suits from this imported material.

Also from reading that site it now makes getting the right wetsuit even more difficult. As the website suggested that most websites selling wetsuits have a temperature guide which isn't very accurate and they gave a chart which they say is more accurate but just gives you a general idea when choosing a wetsuit.

I like the idea of wearing a wetsuit even in the summer. I really like the idea of being warm like in a jacuzzi. But have always been swimming without a wetsuit all year round.

I have only tried a wetsuit a few times. From reading that guide I don't quite get what a wetsuit does.

I thought a wetsuit lets water in only to be absorbed by the material and then as you swim the motion of your body movements makes the wetsuit warm up slightly. I thought all wetsuits have water coming in. I thought the only suits that can let no water in are dry suits which are very expensive. Is that all right?

What I am looking for is a wetsuit that can be worn all year round. I will be using it mainly in spring, autumn, winter months and sometimes in summer. I will only be using the wetsuit in non choppy waters or a little choppy waters. Also when the outside temperature is about 10 to 20 degrees Celsius or add a little give and take. Also in water temperatures of between 5-20 degrees Celsius.

I am looking for a flexible one piece full body suit with good stitches to keep the water out, short or long zipper don't know whats best for what I want to do which I will explain below:

Lots of flexibility so I can use it for kite surfing as well as snorkeling and diving. But really I only dive down for as much as I can hold my breath going down and up again. I will only dive down while snorkeling a few times. Mainly stay on top of the water snorkeling.

Should I get a 3MM, 5MM or 7MM neoprene wetsuit?

Can I get these specs all for £50 including hood and gloves?

I have flippers but the style I have I don't know what you call them, there the ones which you just slip on. Not the ones where you tie the strap. Does this mean I can't use wetsuit boots to keep my feet warm? There is always some room, like a 1 or 2 mm space for my ankle and toes but still it's a nice tight fit, and they don't come off when in the water. To the sides there is again 1 or 2 mm room. I wonder if there are any wetsuit boots that you can get that are 1mm thick which I can wear and then slip into these flippers. If there are would 1mm keep me warm. As my feet already are quite warm inside the flippers already?

I have heard of these electric wetsuits that keep you nice and warm, I guess these are out of my budget?

There are also reusable heat pads that work for 90 minutes that you can wear under the wetsuit, do they work well?

I am 6 ft 6 inches tall

I have been looking for a wetsuit that fits this height and see that size charts don't support wetsuits of my height. Will those pose a problem in that I will need custom fittings? Or do most wetsuits stretch so I just get the largest size available?

Lastly, can I order a wetsuit from a online store based on my size, or is it best to try one on first and then order? If I do just order one if I get the sizes right will it really fit me or stretch to fit me over time?

I would really like to hear your opinions on this

Much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom