Canary Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diving in the Canaries gets better as you travel west, so El Hierro would be better than Gran Canaria.

The diving is more temperate than tropical, as in the Red Sea, so a direct comparison is not realistic.

gozimutti is right when he says the diving is just as good as the GBR, only different, with one exception. GBR is overrated IMO, the Canaries aren't.

Take in a couple of islands. You can go dive Tenerife, then take a ferry to El Hierro. Nice diving there out of La Restinga.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

drbill:
Interesting to see the Canaries posted under Europe. Certainly they are European from a political perspective, yet I've seen other international dive web sites list them as African dive sites. I would tend to agree with grouping them under Europe. In another case (Bonaire) I failed to see why National Geographic assigns them to "North America" rather than "South America." Politically they are "European," yet geographically they should be South American. Go figure.

Wherever they are assigned, I hope to dive them!

Dr. Bill

Dr Bill, that is always the question! Politically the Canaries belong to Spain, but are closer to Africa...and geographically are in with the Azores and Madeira (Micronesia). Oh, where to place it on a forum.....:)

ScubaBaby:
gozumutti

Beliushi & I went on a liveaboard from Sharm, down to the Brothers etc, and have footage of the whale shark we swam with - it hung around for a good hour! This was only last month! So, they do exist in the Red Sea - as do Oceanic White tips, hammerheads, thresher sharks and god knows what else we saw on the same day!

And it is indeed to the Brothers you must go for such sights. The north is too crowded. But my point was simply, yes there are whale sharks in the red sea, but I have never seen one. Thus to imply there no mantas here in the canaries in summer simply because I have never had the opportunity to photograph one seems a bit..well...I dunno...

Does anyone know how to get to the Canaries from Morocco. I know we can get there from Spain, but we're going to Morocco, then Canaries, then Spain without having to backtrack through Spain to get to the Canaries.

Kate_Canuck:
Does anyone know how to get to the Canaries from Morocco. I know we can get there from Spain, but we're going to Morocco, then Canaries, then Spain without having to backtrack through Spain to get to the Canaries.

Hiya Kate

Royal Air Maroc has direct flights from Casablanca to Gran Canaria, but they are expensive, around $500 for the direct flight. It is cheaper to go back to mainland Spain via ferry and then fly to the Canaries, or get another ferry over to the Canaries from Cadiz, but that takes 3 days. Here is link for the Morocco -Spain Ferry:

http://www.frs.es/eng/index.htm

and here for Spain - Canaries: http://www.trasmediterranea.es/

carlreid:
How Is The Diving In The Canary Islands ??:10:

Please If You Have Been, Let Me Know What The Water Temp Is And How Is The Visibility. If The Visibility Is Good, Is There Anything To See. I Started Diving In The Carribien And Have Since Been To The Great Barrier Reef And It Is Hard To Dive Sights That Have Nothing To See. Look Forward To Hearing From You :11:

clear and smooth.. jajaj
water temps. in winter . 19º .. in summer 25º
external temps. in winter 20º .. summer 25-26º
visibility: normally over 30 mts.

you can see pics in this link: www.subcanaria.com

regards from Tenerife!!
Pepe

MORE About Tenerife...

The volcanic nature of Tenerife has created a beautiful coast with fascinating marine bottoms for the divers’ community, characterized by original basaltic formation, a great animal biodiversity and fantastic natural wealth.

With a fauna formed by more than 500 different species, a comfortable temperature of the almost tropical water (19º-26º) and visibility superior to 40 mts confers an important incentive for the diver.

Great vertical walls and extensive sand deserts provide the perfect frame to assure the sighting groupers, big barracudas, sharks, stingrays, manta rays, tunas and thousands of fish taking shelter in the reef.

The diving in our ocean is adapted to all levels and covers the expectations for even the most demanding. The zones of diving are well differentiated by the morphology of the island, giving us many of dive points:

North, the ocean is in its pure state: deep immersions with great encounters.

East, with its permanent Alisio: dives filled with variety, great pelagics and vertical walls.

The South, protected from prevailing winds: easy dives, but ones that will leave us with fantastic memories.

To see MANTARAYS... we can go to ANAGA. there are a few points where we can see them and see sharks too (hammersharks, angelsharks, raggys, etc).
To see WHALES and Dolphing is very easy... we can go to the south coast, take a boat and sail to see them :D

We have 3 RIB´s located in 'Puerto de la Cruz', 'Las Galletas' and Radazul, this way we dive by all the coast of the island and assured that you will enjoy!!

if you need more information about dives, accomodation.. abound... dont´t hesitate..
send us an email to subcanaria@subcanaria.com

regards!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom