canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have. Steve is an interesting person and also a member of the same dive club as I. You should see his dry suit:
day-glo orange !!!

Not being (particularly) gifted in certain areas I found
that much of the book made no sense to me UNTIL I bought a
light and could actually SEE what Steve was writing about
in the book. Additionally, I lacked many of the basic tools
necessary to actually build the light. No matter though:
I've learned quite a bit from reading the book and examining the my light.

If you are knowledgeable about the subject you might have
more success with following the text and actually building
a light. I regret that I am such a dope in those matters ;-)

I have, and I built a light pretty much from what I learned from the book. It's a 4" X 13" PVC can, with 1" thick top and bottom. I built a MR-16 head out of aluminum. The battery pack is 12 Cyclon X cells, wired to give 12V at 10ah. I'll build a test tube head next. The MR-16 head was a lot of work, but the rest was easy. A test tube head would be easy, using delrin. I'm a gunsmith by trade, and I'm lucky to have a garage full of equipment. A lathe is awful handy. You could put a canister and cord assembly together without a lathe, but you gotta have one to make a head. You could buy a lighthead, and make everything else.
BTW, went to Interstate Battery and bought a 6/12V 1.5 amp charger for $30. With a full charge, a 50W EZT bulb lasts about 45 minutes. I've also tried a Solux 50W 10 degree 4700K bulb. Haven't tried it enough to form an opinion, but the Solux is certainly blue. Also have a 17 degree that I haven't tried yet.
Any questions?
Joe

...is worth the price. Knowledge is priceless. Buy the book even if you don't build your own light. You *will* learn something. If you buy an EE, AUL, Ralph Hood, whatever, you need to maintain it. Divelight Companion teaches that.
Building your own dive stuff is lotsa fun; if I can't be submerged, I'm making something. Is it cheaper? Well, how much does experience mean to you? That, plus satisfaction that you made something that actually works.
You can e-mail the guys at Airspeed and they'll answer. I'll buy anything they print.
Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom