Canon 30D Focus & setting questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm using a Canon 30D with Ikelite 6871.30 Housing, a 5510.16 Port Extension and a 5510.45 8" dome. I'm also using dual DS160 strobes.

I'm a novice photographer but want to start experimenting with Manual Mode.

I have previously set the camera to Tv with 160 shutter speed and 5.6; Using autofocus prevents the camera from quickly shooting and I'm missing shots.

First question-- my housing only allows me to zoom in and out, but I do not have any ability to focus. Am I missing something? It appears that I may need to add a 5510.75 focus ring. Is this what I need to allow me to manually focus?

Second question. I will be diving in the BVI. What settings can you recommended I use with the Canon 30D?

Thanks!

I really don't think you can focus manually faster than with the autofocus on. I shoot a 20D and the only issue I had was there not being enough light to focus so I got a focus light. problem solved.

Last trip to GC I spent some time with a pro photographer and that was a real help. My next trip I'm going to schedule an entire day with her devoted to improving my photo skills particularly what settings to use in manual.

I'm using a Canon 30D with Ikelite 6871.30 Housing, a 5510.16 Port Extension and a 5510.45 8" dome. I'm also using dual DS160 strobes.

I'm a novice photographer but want to start experimenting with Manual Mode.

I have previously set the camera to Tv with 160 shutter speed and 5.6; Using autofocus prevents the camera from quickly shooting and I'm missing shots.

First question-- my housing only allows me to zoom in and out, but I do not have any ability to focus. Am I missing something? It appears that I may need to add a 5510.75 focus ring. Is this what I need to allow me to manually focus?

Second question. I will be diving in the BVI. What settings can you recommended I use with the Canon 30D?

Thanks!

Peter,

Ikelite DSLR housings are designed for auto-focus use with the ability to zoom lenses, but not manually focus, as it is generally unnecessary in the underwater environment.In some cases you can move the zoom clamp and sleeve to the lens's focus ring, but you then will lose zoom capability.

For easy auto-focus use underwater, set the camera to a center focus point, use a single servo setting such as "one-shot AF", and make sure there is enough light for a focus lock. I would NOT recommend using manual focus mode underwater unless absolutely necessary. The 5510.75 port focus extension is made specifically for certain macro style lenses: MODULAR PORT SYSTEM

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

The technique I use is I use manual settings. Choose a shutter speed to minimize motion, use the light meter with your aperture adjustment to provide a proper exposure for the foreground. Use your strobes in ttl mode, that way, the foreground will be properly exposed, since your strobes won't light the foreground up anyway. When the TTL sees enough light bouncing back from your subject, it qill quench the strobes providing correct exposure. So using this technique, you are using manual for the distance foreground and automatic for the subjects, via TTL.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom