Canon 5d Mark ii housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shphoto908

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. I’m looking for a housing for a Canon 5d Mark II. I’m new to underwater photography. I rather work with my 5d and learn before moving up to using my R5 underwater.

Thank you

Hey all. I’m looking for a housing for a Canon 5d Mark II. I’m new to underwater photography. I rather work with my 5d and learn before moving up to using my R5 underwater.

Thank you
Honestly, I wouldn't waste money on housing for a 5D Mark II. Mine started glitching with a shutter error last year and many camera shops tell me they don't have parts to repair it and can't get them. The better camera shops tell me to move towards the mirrorless.

Housings are super expensive and if it won't work for your next camera, then it's a waste.

I totally understand not wanting to use your R5 underwater especially as a new underwater photographer. Underwater is a hostile environment for a camera and even the smallest amount of dirt or debris on an o-ring has the potential to compromise the seal and flood the camera & housing.

I also would not recommend trying to find a housing for your 5D Mk2. Housings tend to be made only for current cameras and so if you could find one it would be a used one that you found by pure luck.

There is, IMHO, a "middle ground" that would offer the benefits of a modern camera and housing while not being nearly as expensive as a housing for your R5. You might want to consider something like this:

Is it perfect? No, but it might be a good starting point for you at a reasonable cost. Keep in mind that you will also be a strobe (ideally a pair of strobes) in addition to this. Unlike photography above ground, underwater strobes are essential pieces of gear.

This is just a thought, but you might have options which you might not have considered.

I totally understand not wanting to use your R5 underwater especially as a new underwater photographer. Underwater is a hostile environment for a camera and even the smallest amount of dirt or debris on an o-ring has the potential to compromise the seal and flood the camera & housing.

I also would not recommend trying to find a housing for your 5D Mk2. Housings tend to be made only for current cameras and so if you could find one it would be a used one that you found by pure luck.

There is, IMHO, a "middle ground" that would offer the benefits of a modern camera and housing while not being nearly as expensive as a housing for your R5. You might want to consider something like this:

Is it perfect? No, but it might be a good starting point for you at a reasonable cost. Keep in mind that you will also be a strobe (ideally a pair of strobes) in addition to this. Unlike photography above ground, underwater strobes are essential pieces of gear.

This is just a thought, but you might have options which you might not have considered.
Thanks a lot. Yea my 5d is still working but i understand where you’re all coming from. I will def keep reading and learning as much as possible. That Olympus seems interesting.

Thanks a lot. Yea my 5d is still working but i understand where you’re all coming from. I will def keep reading and learning as much as possible. That Olympus seems interesting.
You are very lucky. Mine decided to come up with the unrecoverable shutter error just as I was embarking on a roadtrip across norther Arizona and southern Utah. So I ended up having to buy a rebel for the trip. 🤮

I would disagree a bit with not housing a Canon 5D II. It was the first SLR with HD video and works fine with decent lenses.

I have several former Ikelite customers who have clean used housings they'd likely sell to get someone started learning to shoot a SLR / ILC (Interchangeable Lens Camera) before making a jump into something newer / more expensive.

Just a long time UW shooter's opinion :)

David Haas

FB1 OscellatedBlueRingOcto Lum Photo091817.jpegIMG_0105.jpgIMG_1439.jpegIMG_7024.jpegIMG_4052.jpeg

You are very lucky. Mine decided to come up with the unrecoverable shutter error just as I was embarking on a roadtrip across norther Arizona and southern Utah. So I ended up having to buy a rebel for the trip. 🤮
I love that part of the US! I do somewhat regular photo trips through Page AZ, Monument Valley and Moab UT. It has countless stunning vistas!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

One other option is to look for a small but very capable Canon SL1 / 2 / 3 and the super compact Ikelite housing. I know a few folks who might be selling due to hanging up their fins.

I used that set up (Canon SL1) until 2016 when I went fully to compact cameras.

Just a thought and also might depend what EF lenses shphoto908 already has and what you want to photograph (Ice Angle, Macro, both?)

DH

IMG_2282.JPG.jpegIMG_6823.JPG.jpegIMG_8587.jpegIMG_8959.jpegIMG_0465.JPG copy.jpeg

One other option is to look for a small but very capable Canon SL1 / 2 / 3 and the super compact Ikelite housing. I know a few folks who might be selling due to hanging up their fins.

I used that set up (Canon SL1) until 2016 when I went fully to compact cameras.

Just a thought and also might depend what EF lenses shphoto908 already has and what you want to photograph (Ice Angle, Macro, both?)

DH

View attachment 802994View attachment 802995View attachment 802996View attachment 802997View attachment 802998
Oh boy. I got a 25-105. 24mm 2.8. 14mm fisheye, 150-600. All ef. And a 50mm Rf.

I went diving this past weekend in Cozumel just with my
GoPro and I got to play with a buddies full camera rig def want one now.

I would disagree a bit with not housing a Canon 5D II. It was the first SLR with HD video and works fine with decent lenses.

I have several former Ikelite customers who have clean used housings they'd likely sell to get someone started learning to shoot a SLR / ILC (Interchangeable Lens Camera) before making a jump into something newer / more expensive.

Just a long time UW shooter's opinion :)

David Haas

View attachment 802924View attachment 802925View attachment 802926View attachment 802928View attachment 802927
Yea my 5d2 is still super strong and going well. Even with all the mountaineering trips. So if I could find a good priced kit I’d be interested in it.

Back
Top Bottom