Canon G10 and Big eye pics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want this thing to come undone and go floating off into the deep.

So I'm confused. Are all add on lenses for this camera going to need to be bungeed on? Are there any macro lenses? Obviously there are no threads on the housing. I was considering selling my C5050 and PT-015 for this G10 setup but I kinda wanted some add-on capability.

Those are great pictures to show what you lose to refraction when you go from air to water. The BigEye, by removing the effect of refraction, bringing the camera back to it's above water performance (28mm). This effect also happens with masks.
This looks like a good WA option for the G10 with the Canon housing. What's missing when you add on an spherical lens like this is the ability to add filters. Yeah, I know with White Balance you aren't supposed to need them. For me though, video works better when you combine WB & filter.
I'm sure this lens will get a few looks on the boat.

The monster Canon teles use drop in filters, which puts them effectively between the glass elements and the sensor. That's what you'd somehow have to jury-rig to use filters with a dome like this (and on top of the bungee mounting system).

Last edited:
You can stack a Fantasea G10 RedEye filter with this, but you'd get some vignetting that would sort of defeat the purpose.

Jack

Since the BigEye for the G10 attaches to the Canon housing with two bungees per the manual (pdf), how stable is it underwater IRL? How likely is it to come undone during a dive?

I have one coming from Jack (as one can never have too much camera gear), and will see if I can attach a retractor to it (my standard method of not loosing stuff)..when I get it, will advise.

That's great! I had no idea those even existed before this thread.

As for filters; I don't see what would stop you from using a magic filter inside the case as normal.

I'm so glad to finally see some results from these big-eye lenses and I have to say that I'm impressed. I like how the pilars of the pier aren't distorted like they usually would be with WA/Fisheye leneses.

Thanks for the pics eagleray.

I have mine (thanks Jack) and hope to take pics this weekend.. will most likely mess them up.. but will try.

That's a brilliant idea. If I hadn't flooded my Canon housing and gone out and bought an Ikelite, I'd be queuing up to get one of those now. How much are they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom