Canon G10 Housing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For that reason alone, I'd say the G9/Ikelite setup is better than the G10. Could see this happening though. The 28mm lens (I'm guessing) is causing too much vignetting? Plus, I don't know of any wet WA lenses that work on a 28mm lens (and have a 67mm thread).

I had the G7 for a few years, was a great camera with the WA lens. If I didn't have that option, I wouldn't have been too happy with it though.

Will be interesting to see if Ike can come up with a solution though.

Wide angle options are limited by the "throw" of the lens (total physical travel distance through zoom range) and the widest angle setting. Even just holding an external threaded lens up to the camera's lens, you have to zoom so much to avoid vignetting that you effectively eliminate any widening of angle of coverage.

We are investigating other wide angle options, possibly an optional dome port with or without an internal wide angle lens. No additional information is available right now.

External macro lenses cannot be added, as the lens port is too large to offer a 67mm thread. Unfortunately the port is also too large to accept one of our removable UR/Pro filters.

We are making our best effort to offer as many options as possible with this camera without making the housing cost prohibitive. This is one of those instances where seemingly minor camera changes translate to big problems in the realm of underwater photography!!!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

I really commend Ikelite’s openness and frank discussion of the challenges you are facing and sharing what you plan to do.

I understand that you may not be able to comment on my question, but I will ask it anyway. Do you think future solutions to these challenges (if any become available) will likely require a different housing, a modification to the existing g10 housing or will be usable with the released housing “as is”?

In effect, I guess what I am asking is how much of a hassle/how expensive to the consumer will it be to implement macro and wide angle conversions to the housing you have produced so far?

I am looking forward to becoming am Ikelite customer for my new G10.

Thank you for the information. I look forward to your solutions to some of these issues. Myself, I have ordered (trying to get them to see if they can get the housing) the housing today through my LDS. I will dive it "as is" and see what you can work out in the future regarding WA lenses.

I also have one question: According to the website the case comes with a single handle tray. I already have the Ikelite dual tray which I need for my dual strobes. I asked my LDS to see if they could order JUST the case without the tray. Is this possible? I already have a spare single arm tray, and I don't need another one.

Thanks again for the flow of information....just another reason why all my camera gear is Ikelite!!

Wide angle options are limited by the "throw" of the lens (total physical travel distance through zoom range) and the widest angle setting. Even just holding an external threaded lens up to the camera's lens, you have to zoom so much to avoid vignetting that you effectively eliminate any widening of angle of coverage.

We are investigating other wide angle options, possibly an optional dome port with or without an internal wide angle lens. No additional information is available right now.

External macro lenses cannot be added, as the lens port is too large to offer a 67mm thread. Unfortunately the port is also too large to accept one of our removable UR/Pro filters.

We are making our best effort to offer as many options as possible with this camera without making the housing cost prohibitive. This is one of those instances where seemingly minor camera changes translate to big problems in the realm of underwater photography!!!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

looking forward to g10/ikelite review.

The housing should be available as described on our website sometime before Thanksgiving. The housing is only available complete with tray and single handle. We have so many different models as it is, stocking multiple versions for the same camera model would be an inventory nightmare for us.

Still working on wide angle options... This evening's test dive with a dome port wasn't promising. But we will continue to work on it. In response to the cost question, we try to keep optional ports somewhere in the $100 - $200 price range, but it all depends on cost of necessary components.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Hello Ikelite! Any updates on the delivery dates? I have a dive on November 14 and I am very curious to know if it is realistic to cross my fingers for a housing before then. Thanks!

alyafi - Ikelite has stated in the post above you that it may be available sometime around Thanksgiving. That most likely will not be in time for your trip on the 14th as Thanksgiving in the US is the third Thursday in November and you will need to factor in any wait-lists, shipping time and the like, too. It might be worth finding a back up for this trip :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom