Canon G10 Housing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I just bought the new Canon G10, a great pice. Now I am searching for a good housing. For my Sony Camcorder I have an Ikelite housing and i am very happy with this, so my first choice for the G10 is an Ikelite.

But now my problem:
I have an Sea&Sea YS110 strobe an want to use the TTL function of the G10 by the SYNC-Cord. Is this direcly possible with the Ikelite or is it possible to modificate the Ikelite TTL connection to use the YS110 in TTL mode?

Bodo:confused:

Hi,

I just bought the new Canon G10, a great pice. Now I am searching for a good housing. For my Sony Camcorder I have an Ikelite housing and i am very happy with this, so my first choice for the G10 is an Ikelite.

But now my problem:
I have an Sea&Sea YS110 strobe an want to use the TTL function of the G10 by the SYNC-Cord. Is this direcly possible with the Ikelite or is it possible to modificate the Ikelite TTL connection to use the YS110 in TTL mode?

Bodo:confused:

Nope, TTL is only compatible with Ikelite strobes. Ikelite Underwater Housing for Canon G10 Camera

Belive me, that's not a lot of money to spend on UW camera gear when you look at some of the alternatives! If my current housing only cost $1k, I'd be a very happy diver :wink:
I realize that one can spend a lot more. But for a vacation diver - $1000 housing + $800 strobe + $400+ camera - $2200 - is a lot of moolah. If one can chop $400+ off of that - one would be pretty tempted :)

Spending, for example $1000 on a regulator is one thing. It will last a very loooooong time. A camera housing is another matter. I have a $600 Ikelite housing for my G2. It's very nice, works great - but it's also for a, um, 7 year old camera. I'd love to get a new camera - I'd go buy one tomorrow - except that I'd need to go get another $600+ housing and spend another $100 or so on a sync cord. So thats $700 on top of the cost of the camera itself.

I guess the point I am expressing is that, generally speaking, I am adverse to spending large sums of money on electronics anymore, given the rapid depreciation and effective shelf-life. In the meantime, rather than going to Cozumel in a few months with a 14MP camera, I will be going with a 4MP camera ):

$1000 for the housing - it better take the pictures all by itself :)

1. The Canon underwater housing may be cheaper, but it is rated to less depth, cannot accept integration of external strobe without the optical connection (i.e. not through the camera' hot shoe), and does not come with the tray, grip and mounting for strobes. So you are paying for the additional features.

2. I have to agree with Aussie Diver here, underwater camera gear is expensive. Now, if the G10 housing was $1,000 I might agree with you that it is above what I would expect and more than I would likely be willing to pay at this point. BUT, just go to Ikelite's website and see the housing price for yourself:

Ikelite Housing #6146.10 ........... $650

source: Ikelite Underwater Housing for Canon G10 Camera

I hope this helps.

Yafi

1. The Canon underwater housing may be cheaper, but it is rated to less depth, cannot accept integration of external strobe without the optical connection (i.e. not through the camera' hot shoe), and does not come with the tray, grip and mounting for strobes. So you are paying for the additional features.

2. I have to agree with Aussie Diver here, underwater camera gear is expensive. Now, if the G10 housing was $1,000 I might agree with you that it is above what I would expect and more than I would likely be willing to pay at this point. BUT, just go to Ikelite's website and see the housing price for yourself:

Ikelite Housing #6146.10 ........... $650

source: Ikelite Underwater Housing for Canon G10 Camera
I'm not following your post here at all.I was talking about the Patima housing for the G9, referenced in post #29:

http://www.mauidigitalimaging.com/store/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=PDCH-9

I know the Ikelite housing does not cost that much....which is why I was pointing out that the Patima housing is about $400 more than the Ikelite one....and I wasn't talking about the Canon housing AT ALL.

I'm not following your post here at all.I was talking about the Patima housing for the G9, referenced in post #29:

Patima Canon G9 Housing

I know the Ikelite housing does not cost that much....which is why I was pointing out that the Patima housing is about $400 more than the Ikelite one....and I wasn't talking about the Canon housing AT ALL.

Oops, sorry I am way off! I got confused as this is the Ikelite forum and I missed your original post mentioning the patima housing. Cheers.

Another member already answered this question, but I wanted to clarify. The YS110 can be attached via sync cord to the housing, but you will only be able to use the strobe's manual power settings. The TTL circuitry only communicates with Ikelite strobes.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

I realize that one can spend a lot more. But for a vacation diver - $1000 housing + $800 strobe + $400+ camera - $2200 - is a lot of moolah. If one can chop $400+ off of that - one would be pretty tempted :)

Ah, a holiday diver, enough said :wink: Can't say I blame you then! I try to dive most weekends here!

On the other hand though, the resale value on camera gear isn't too bad for the upper end stuff. I sold my G7/Ike kit recently, and got about 60% of what I originally paid. So there's a good reason to upgrade regularly!

Back
Top Bottom