Canon HV10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hubby just got given a brand new Canon HV10 (we're aware it's an older model :wink: but free is free).

Is it worth considering a housing for this one? I haven't been keeping up with camcorders lately and have no idea what the gos is on this one.

It's HDV and it's free. Nothing wrong with either of those...:) It was a good camera at the time, I almost bought one. About the only limiting factor is that consumer cameras of that time (a whole 2 years ago..LOL) won't have an HDMI output. But Component works just fine. It's a vertical form factor and no LANC port so that limits your housing options to mechanical models. Here's the camcorderinfo.com review.

Ikelite makes one
Adorama has it for $759US.

Another option is the Equinox Pro6 at $999US.

Seatool also sells one that's molded around the camera. Welcome to Seatool USA!
Ryan at Reef has one in stock, it's $1999US.

Probably find a dealer closer to you as they're made by Fisheye in Japan.

Since it's HDV, you'll need a computer with a couple GB's of memory, a faster Core Duo or Quad Core processor to cut rendering time and several hundred GB's of storage/editing space. Since it is HDV any of the HDV editors will work with the imported files natively as the format has been around awhile. Even the low-end Premiere Elements and other versions of some of the sub-$100 editors edit in HDV. Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is one I've used. The Platinum is the HDV version.

You can also shoot in HDV and import in SD if you're making DVD's for customers etc. But it's nice to have the ability to output in HDV if/when you get a Blu-Ray burner. I find it easy to store a box of tapes for future use since I don't have one yet. IMO HDV downconverted to SD still looks better than SD, one of my photographer friends who has a critical eye agreed when he saw some of my footage.

If it's anything like my 1CMOS Sony, it's not so great in low-light conditions. It can be stunning though if the light is good and the water is clear.

I've never heard of any particular issues with the HV-10.

Thanks for the links, Steve!

Do you know anything about the quality? Is there anything "tricksy" I need to know about it?

Quality is top notch for a consumer HD camcorder. It uses the same optics and sensors as the HV20 and HV30 which followed. The reason I held off on buying one when they were new is that the HV10 does not have a mic input nor a headphone jack which I need for my topside stuff (I bought the HV20, then the HV30). These features are unnecessary of course for underwater use.

Its worth getting a housing for in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom