Canon S2 IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_cat_keeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, All

I have the S1 and am thinking of upgrading. The S2 seems like a good fit for what I have in mind (better macros and higher image resolution). Anyone got one of those already? Comments?

Again, thanks in advance for your responses.
Cat.

I'd like to know also, I have the S1-IS with the canon underwater housing and am goint to try it this upcoming weekend, any tips, have you used in video mode?

Thanks

The new S2 model looks different enough that the current prevous case for the S1 wouldn't align with the all the switches. So, if you do upgrade take that into consderation and the fact that the last time I looked there was not a case specifically for the S2 from Canon.

robo:
I'd like to know also, I have the S1-IS with the canon underwater housing and am goint to try it this upcoming weekend, any tips, have you used in video mode?

Thanks

I use the S1 on video mode and it works great. Be sure to shoot at 640, 30fps (off the function menu), and manual white balance underwater using a dive slate or something. And ya better have a big card :wink:

I really like mine. So much so that I can't justify upgrading to an actual video rig right now.

Have you had any success taking uw still photos with the S1? I just can't get decent results to save my life. Any tips would be appreciated!

robo:

Thanks
I've only used the video mode once, shooting a 1min plus video of two manta rays. The effect was great, in fact much better than the uw pictures that I took of the same mantas.

Taxgeek:
I really like mine. So much so that I can't justify upgrading to an actual video rig right now.

Have you had any success taking uw still photos with the S1? I just can't get decent results to save my life. Any tips would be appreciated!
I like mine too but just wish the resolution was higher. Anyway, I attach a macro len to resolve the issue of the "poor" macro mode on S1 on my last dive trip.

My pix are posted on http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5628
The trip to Manado, Indonesia was my first trial of the camera, then in Redang, Malaysia, I attached a strobe to the camera. It was so frustrating :( that I gave up some way along the dives. Then I finally really tried to use the strobe in Maldives... and took one of my best shots :wink: ever.

liberato:
The new S2 model looks different enough that the current prevous case for the S1 wouldn't align with the all the switches. So, if you do upgrade take that into consderation and the fact that the last time I looked there was not a case specifically for the S2 from Canon.
That's a good point... I wonder if it fits into the housing for S1.

I am thinking of purchasing the S2 IS also. Any news on the fit in the S1 housing or has anyone heard of Canon is producing a housing for the S2?

the_cat_keeper:
I like mine too but just wish the resolution was higher. Anyway, I attach a macro len to resolve the issue of the "poor" macro mode on S1 on my last dive trip.

My pix are posted on http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5628
The trip to Manado, Indonesia was my first trial of the camera, then in Redang, Malaysia, I attached a strobe to the camera. It was so frustrating :( that I gave up some way along the dives. Then I finally really tried to use the strobe in Maldives... and took one of my best shots :wink: ever.
Where did you get a macro lens to fit the housing?

Back
Top Bottom