Can't get Vertical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigBuoy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I had my 2nd confined class and have been having an issue.
I can't get vertical. My feet seem to want to go up when I try to stay in a vertical position.
For the fin pivot I can't get my fin tips down or get my knees down.
During "play time" I can hover horizontal and control my position with my breathing but that doesn't help get the required tasks for class done.
When on the surface with BC inflated (jacket style) I tend to roll forward.
We are going to try ankle weights next time to help get my feet down a bit.
I know it is only my 2nd time in the water and I have a lot to learn about buoyancy and getting the weights right, I guess I'm just frustrated and need to know things will get better.
I have to say, two days in and I'm hooked.
Any advise or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Welcome to the first taste of this addictive sport! Before you try ankle weights, ask about a different pair of fins that are heavier. If your properly weighted and still having trouble with getting horizontal the heavier fins should do the trick. Good luck.

You'll find that many people on this forum think diving with a horizontal orientation is good and it is important to be able to achieve this when diving. In my experience most people wearing a weight belt tend to drop down at the feet and eventually become vertical. I personally prefer this position when stationery and like to be balanced so that with just a little kick I can become horizontal as I move forward.

You position in the water, called trim, depends on how your weight is distributed. If you are using integrated weights you may find moving the weights to a weight belt resolves the problem. Adjusting your tank so that it sits further down the BCD may help. It's all about shifting the centre of gravity towards your feet.

After 2x I wouldn't try to bandaid too much, too quick.
It's a bit like learning to ride a bike. Oh, heck, I am falling is all you can think at first. It's a matter of balance. Not a balance you are probably use to. Funny that we don't know anything much about balance as we learn to walk, then it is something natural. After we grow up, it seems we work at unlearning it all the time.
Anyway, it'll pop in and you'll 'get it'.
When I first started trying to carry a stage or two while in doubles, I complained to my instructor about how Nemo lopsided I was. After listening to me whine for a while, he said, "Why don't you just roll the bubble to that side." Duhhhh, I never had a problem again. (Okay, hardly ever.)

Can you lower your tank down relative to your cam straps? Try shifting the weight of the tank/regs lower first.
Where are you placing your weights?
When you are hanging motionless in the water, try to position both fins horizontally instead of pointing them straight up. This will help also.
Try to stretch out your legs more so the weight of the fins help to counterbalance you.
If these still don't work, try a heavier set of fins.

Vertical is not a good position to be in while diving. Better to be horizontal with a smaller footprint in the current. Horizontal,you are streamlined. Vertical, you are kicking to move your entire height to go anywhere.
Try doing your ascents and descents horizontal for improved control over your depth,too.
On the surface, kick to put yourself in a reclining position and you won't have your face in the water.
Might try moving your tank down, just a hair, or heavier fins. What type of wetsuit or drysuit are you wearing?

As many have said above, adjusting the tank and weights can make a huge difference. Also the type of suit as Steve_C has mentioned will make a big difference. For example - I have a 7mm Semi that I simply cannot kneel down in in the pool - two reasons, one is the legs seem very "floaty" and secondly my calf muscles are too large (family trait) for me to bend my legs.

I can just about bend my legs enough in a 5mm but always look to wear a 3mm in the pool (temperature permitting!!!!!).

Frankly at this stage in the game, you're too inexperienced for us to do a true diagnosis.

I remembered I couldn't even stand still the first time I wore the BC with tank in the swimming pool. Couldn't keep my feet in the same place. Gotta learn how to balance yourself with the gears on first. Also, ask your instructor while you're both still there. Asking us after the fact with no photos or videos...doesn't really help.

You say that hovering in a horizontal position doesn't help you get the tasks done . . . what tasks are you being asked to do that you can't do in that position?

In the last 1200 dives, I can count the number of times I wanted to be vertical in the water on one hand.

Back
Top Bottom