Can't "giant stride"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a little problem that has plagued me practically all my life. I can't jump off anything, regardless of height. When I was a small boy (about five YO), my cousin pushed me off a high deck and onto a pile of used bricks. I fractured my skull and had to have 16 stitches to sew my scalp back together.

Since then, I have been unable to jump off of anything, even if it's only a couple of feet high. This includes the giant stride entry off a boat. Every time I try, I just freeze. My rational mind is fully aware of the safety of the action but, somewhere in my subconscious, another part of my brain takes over and simply will not let me jump.

I can back roll off a boat with no problem, and I can even jump forward if my feet are already in the water. But I just can't do the giant stride from above the surface of the water.

This hasn't been much of a hindrance to my diving in the past but now I'm wanting to do some diving off the NC coast from charter boats and I'm wondering how I can do it if I can't jump off the boat using the giant stride.

Any suggestions?

my suggestions is you're just going to have to do it once to get over it. After that first jump, and you realize that you're fine, you may not have such a hard time any more. I would suggest jumping in with someone else already in the water with rescue experience just in case you have a panic attack or something along those lines. and please make whoever you are with aware of your situation whether it's friends or strangers on a charter. you don't want to catch anyone off guard by your hesitation to get into the water or by panicing.

I'm wanting to do some diving off the NC coast from charter boats and I'm wondering how I can do it if I can't jump off the boat using the giant stride.

It is entirely your choice on how to enter the water. A charter boat may suggest optimum solutions, but if you have reasons to chose an alternative (as you have) then that is always your perogative.

You should consider the Controlled Seated Entry. (video demo link HERE)

Description

1) Sit on the edge, facing the water, and place your hands on the edge at one side of your body.

IMG_7301-1.JPG

2) Allow your arms to take your body weight, whilst pushing up and away from the edge. Your body will naturally rotate and clear the edge as you do this.
IMG_7302-1.JPG

The demo illustrated here, and on the video link, are made in a pool - but this entry is very effective from a boat. It is often recommended as a boat entry when conditions are too rough, and the boat too unstable, for a giant stride entry.

Hope that helps :D

This may be nitpicky, but I'm not sure so maybe it will help you.

A giant stride isn't a jump. It's a long step followed by a fall. Jumping is actually a good way to hurt yourself (up rather than out could lead to hitting the platform on the way down).

If you can backroll, maybe it's seeing the 'floor' that bothers you. Try getting situated, standing at the edge, and look straight at the horizon as you step forward as far as you can with a single (giant) stride. Don't hop with your back foot, don't jump. Just walk, and don't look down (once you've assured the 'landing' is clear).

The trick is to let your mind and body experience this a little at a time (I have taught hundreds of youngsters to stride into the water--for them it's the same thing as a giant stride--and many of them had the same irrational fear you describe.) The process is simple: Go to a pool that has true steps into the pool...not a ladder, but steps. Walk down to the bottom step, stand, and them do a "giant stride". You know the drill...goose step, one had up and the other across the center (since you aren't doing this in gear at the moment. Go under by flexing and bending your legs when you hit bottom. Repeat as many times as it takes to get comfortable. When you do achieve comfort, move up one step and do it again until you have no trepidations. Keep moving up the steps until you can make an ungeared giant stride from the side of the pool into the shallow end, then move to the deep end. If you experience an anxiety attack, go back a few steps and start again.
Then move to doing the giant stride with mask and snorkel...secure your gear with you hand as shown in your OW course. Get comfortable with that and then add fins. Then add gear and go again. Do this as often as necessary to overcome your trepidations. You can do it!
Hope this works for you,
Bill

my suggestions is you're just going to have to do it once to get over it. After that first jump, and you realize that you're fine, you may not have such a hard time any more.

Exposure therapy to get over a fear is a great technique. However, I really wouldn't recommend it unless under the care and direction of a licensed psychologist. Especially something like this, you are already over encumbered with all of the dive gear the last thing you need to do is possibly suffer a panic attack and have something very bad happen to you in the water. And typically exposure therapy is accomplished by slowly increasing the level of exposure and not just pushing someone off a ledge/boat into their fear. Especially when it is a case like this where this is actual real world experience/justification for the fear, it may not go well.

I would call the charters you are interested in and talk to them, let them know the scenario and ask them if there would be any problems with you choosing to go off the back of the boat using the swimstep/ladders. I doubt any will have problems, often times on the bigger boats (atleast around here) they will encourage some divers to go off this way anyway just to get people in the water and off the boat faster as it kind of sucks standing in a line of people 20 deep waiting to get in the water. Call the place, and talk to one of the DMs when you get on the boat and I am sure they will accomidate you! And if they won't, find another charter company.

This may be nitpicky, but I'm not sure so maybe it will help you.

A giant stride isn't a jump. It's a long step followed by a fall. Jumping is actually a good way to hurt yourself (up rather than out could lead to hitting the platform on the way down).

If you can backroll, maybe it's seeing the 'floor' that bothers you. Try getting situated, standing at the edge, and look straight at the horizon as you step forward as far as you can with a single (giant) stride. Don't hop with your back foot, don't jump. Just walk, and don't look down (once you've assured the 'landing' is clear).

+1. Good response

No matter what, if you are unable to to get comfortable with the actual giant stride (not a modified /simplified entry), then I would make sure it will be suitable for the conditions you will be diving in. I am told by many friends that the diving in NC can be hair rasing at times on the sureface (and beneath) so a simplified entry may not always be possible (or safe).

I can easily understand your fear. I don't even know how "irrational" it is. Taking a nasty fall at a young age has to make an impression.

You might want to call the dive operator and talk to them about the problem. Most boats that I have seen have alternate methods for entry. Some people have back problems and so on. I would think that a giant stride would not be the only entry option possible.

Alternately, you might be able to acclimate yourself by practicing pseudo giant strides at a pool. But that procedure has already been suggested.

good luck to you.

Ditto to what the others have said above about overcoming this problem. I am routing for you also.

I
I can back roll off a boat with no problem, and I can even jump forward if my feet are already in the water.

Another suggestion though if you are fine back rolling into the water is to jump of the boat backwards. (Make sure you look before jumping though :wink:)

I have done this in a number of different places, not just on boats. Have the back of your feet on the edge of the boat and push off with both feet.

A controlled seated may work but if the sea is a little rough this maneuver may put you under the platform of the boat. Which will cause that platform to come down on your head.

Can you fall back into the water? It's like doing a back roll but you'll be standing.
Turn facing the boat instead of the water.
Take a look back and check the area to make sure it's safe.
Look forward again and hold your mask & reg.
Fall back.

Back
Top Bottom