Captain Morgan's Utila accommodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianb33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone stayed at the hotel at Captain Morgan's? We are looking at Utila in early June and the other resorts are a bit pricey when I'm paying for 4 divers (my 17 and 20 year old "children" are certified and coming along)!

Has anyone stayed at the hotel at Captain Morgan's? We are looking at Utila in early June and the other resorts are a bit pricey when I'm paying for 4 divers (my 17 and 20 year old "children" are certified and coming along)!

We stay next door to Captain Morgan's last October at the Utila Lodge. Our screened in porch overlooked the dock & shore of Captain Morgan's. The place is small (as are most of the places on Utila) but looked decent enough. I watched a couple with a swimming Persian cat from our porch & tried to get a pic but the screening messed up the pic. The dive op had a small boat but they packed the divers on and it seemed like they were constantly working on the boat motor and brought in another boat one day. Seemed like lots of young people there but looked like they were having a blast, diving & BBQ on the beach area. Bugs are horrendous on Utila & that's the main reason we stayed at Utila Lodge which is out over the water - fewer bugs. The lodge had their own big dive boat with a dedicated guide & boat captain. Since the 3 guys of our group were advanced divers, we had this boat all to ourselves. They will put the new cert. people on the BICD boat for training which sometimes had lots of divers! Look into Utila Lodge also. It is so easy there with the BICD next door & their own restaurant and bar. Great people there too! Utila Lodge. Utila is great, very laid back & funky, gonna be going back!

your "children" will have a blast, like most places in utila town captain morgan is geared towards backpackers traveling on extended trips through central america (the gringo trail). its a big party and a very international crowd, largely from europe, scandinavia, australia, israel etc. the down fall as mentioned above is the dive operation, tiny boats that are crowded with people taking their open water certificates. also for you the noise and partying at night might get annoying at capt. morgans
if you're looking for budget accommodation with a great dive operation, i'd suggest coral view divers. they're on the edge of town away from all the noise but your kids will be within walking distance of the party scene but you won't have to lay in bed listening to the thumb, thumb, thumb of bass all night. and coral view divers is a great, small dive company that offers small group diving.

Utila has so many bars and restaurants to discover on the tiny little island that you won't want to stick to a resort.. Save your money by going with a dive center like Captain Morgan's or the top ones on trip advisor. Each one has its own personality. Look for one with multiple dive boats. Those located on The Point all have multiple boats and some have great cabins for rent and may even be included in the price of dive packages. A few have dedicated dive boats for certified divers, not mixing them with open water divers and experienced guides for you as well.

Good luck!

If you're talking about the Hotel Kayla ...its a basic sleeping room type accommodation with a common area.....I've seen families stay there before it's not bad...if you want better accommodation and privacy you could stay on Little Cay...its a private island with a generator and a big house...and get a local to ferry you back and forth for diving with Morgan's ...the island is around 100+ a night.. Or just stay at the hotel..I wouldn't have any issue staying there...you're not gonna be inside much except to sleep anyway....the cays are paradise.

If you're talking about the Hotel Kayla ...its a basic sleeping room type accommodation with a common area.....I've seen families stay there before it's not bad...if you want better accommodation and privacy you could stay on Little Cay...its a private island with a generator and a big house...and get a local to ferry you back and forth for diving with Morgan's ...the island is around 100+ a night.. Or just stay at the hotel..I wouldn't have any issue staying there...you're not gonna be inside much except to sleep anyway....the cays are paradise.

Captain Morgan's is not on the Cays anymore, they have moved to Utila town. I think they still have some accommodation tho. Hotel Kayla is operated in conjunction with Utila Cays Diving.
Still a great place to stay if you are not looking for party central.

captain morgans accommodations are in the middle of utila town, hotel kaya is with utila cays diving on pigeon cay (upper cay)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom