Car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang Steve, doesn't somebody make them in black?:D
Mine is...

Hey D, how about this one...:D
Capture2.JPG
The Witz is probably good to about 3 feet. If you dive deeper than that, I'd go with suggestion two. Add a small lead weight to make it negative.
Maybe I'm just lucky but I've had the same Witz case to at least 122' and repeatedly over 100'. On at least 150 dives by now over the last 1/2 dozen years. Not bad for $7.95....

I also have the really thin one so there's not a lot of surface area for the pressure to work on. Hard to tell but there's an o-ring inset in the bottom edge of the opening also. It holds a key, credit card and $20 easily. Two keys (room/car) if I remove them from the company supplied key rings. Which is why I carry a Leatherman-type tool also.

My backup light fits in a pocket. It also has a lanyard so I run that thru one of the drain grommets and tie it off. And it's aluminum.

As far as a reliably waterproof container you can also use an old small uw light. Better chance that the o ring on it won't fail than on a rectangular "waterproof" case.
I have never found them to last for very long, and replacing an electronic key for a rental truck on Bonaire would be a hassle.

Still, I don't see the need to take any risk of them getting wet, if you are creative.

As far as a reliably waterproof container you can also use an old small uw light. Better chance that the o ring on it won't fail than on a rectangular "waterproof" case.
I have never found them to last for very long, and replacing an electronic key for a rental truck on Bonaire would be a hassle.

Still, I don't see the need to take any risk of them getting wet, if you are creative.

I guess you have to weight the risk of damaging the key with water vs damaging the vehicle thru theft and not being able to produce the key... Personally I'll keep using my aquapac.

I've come up with a different solution to my key (not rental) problem while diving. My key is a fob proximity type key. The metal key is just for the glove box. With a proximity key, I don't trust it underwater - replacing is expensive. I have not found a flashlight that is small enough to bring with and big enough for the fob.

My solution? A Master Lock portable lock box used by realtors. This box is small enough to fit under the front wheel well attached to the shock spring or inside of my wheel attacked to the rim. It's out of sight, difficult to manipulate with tools and is kept far enough away for proximity features to work.

I've come up with a different solution to my key (not rental) problem while diving. My key is a fob proximity type key. The metal key is just for the glove box. With a proximity key, I don't trust it underwater - replacing is expensive. I have not found a flashlight that is small enough to bring with and big enough for the fob.

My solution? A Master Lock portable lock box used by realtors. This box is small enough to fit under the front wheel well attached to the shock spring or inside of my wheel attacked to the rim. It's out of sight, difficult to manipulate with tools and is kept far enough away for proximity features to work.

Great. How does that help us in Bonaire?

Great. How does that help us in Bonaire?

You could pack one and bring it with - they're not that big. Or you can find another solution. Options are your friend.

You could pack one and bring it with - they're not that big. Or you can find another solution. Options are your friend.

Yes. Looking for solutions to the Bonaire truck key problem is why I'm watching this thread. Do you happen to know if the typical Bonaire pickup truck has a convenient place to attach a lockbox? I'd consider it. However, it would suck to bring along a lockbox and then find that most rental truck keys are still the traditional kind that I could keep in my BC pocket on a dive. And the solution that others have suggested of using the empty shell of an old dive light has the advantage of not being as heavy in my luggage as a lockbox.

If it fits the flashlight you could use that method, I'm sure. Mine didn't fit the flashlight I had and I didn't want to buy one just to be a shell.

You could use a thick bike cable to secure the lockbox. I was originally going to do that.

If they a professional car thieves and they want the car they will be prepared for just about anything.

If it fits the flashlight you could use that method, I'm sure. Mine didn't fit the flashlight I had and I didn't want to buy one just to be a shell.

You could use a thick bike cable to secure the lockbox. I was originally going to do that.

If they a professional car thieves and they want the car they will be prepared for just about anything.

I doubt the thieves in Bonaire are going to mess with bolt cutters, as they are amateurs looking for easy pickings. They don't even want the truck. But we can't just leave the key sitting there while we're out diving--it has to be stored somewhere that's resistant to theft and damage.

I have a round waterproof bottle from the dive store. A phone fits in. Just make sure you keep the rubber o-ring clean and lube it up once in awhile. Then they won't leak. I dive to 130 feet. No problems yet. And please don't hide the key under a rock. Someone came back from the dive and the truck was gone. The thief was watching them when they hid the key.

Back
Top Bottom