Card Collector - Definition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I give up, next time I see the term used in any derogatory way, I will post them to this boring thread. :rofl3:
no matter how many certs I get and I only have 5 I still always use my original Naui OW card at the door. I would hate for someone to assume I know more than I do, or fault me for doing something stupid.

I rarely offer my opinion unless asked (or on SB) I have about 8 more cards to collect this year alone and now I have confirmation that "card collecting" is an honorable past time. :lotsalove: :rofl3: no one has ever called me a card collector but I am sure I have seen it used to describe someone who maybe does a zero to hero course or otherwise made themselves out to know more than they did, but I will not persue this point any more I am officially wrong. :D

He won't find an SSI Solo Diver course ... :no:

SDI maybe ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Umm, yeah.. SDI ofc since theire the only ones that provide that training as far as Ive found out anyways..
Did i mention he had like 420 cards? I got confused with the acronyms halfway through the AGENCIES so I kinda didnt wanna bother checking out all the certs he had with each of them. Seems like I still am, dont it? :p

Ok I give up, next time I see the term used in any derogatory way, I will post them to this boring thread. :rofl3:

I understand the term is used in a derogatory manner. And, undoubtably, some of those divers with lots of cards believe that makes them a better diver. And, undoubtably, in many cases it does, as education is quite valuable.

So is experience, which was Lynn's point.

When I learned to dive in 1989 through PADI, further classes were encouraged and part of the marketing was that you get these cool cards. Here was my progression: OW, AOW, Deep, and Rescue, one after the other. Then I stopped.

Here is why: I was going on a dive vacation shortly after being certified and going to the Blue Hole in Belize. I wanted the Deep cert so I could at least know what narcosis felt like. I know now that I should never have done that dive with the small amount of dives I had before I went. I wanted to do the Rescue course so that I would have knowledge on self-rescue in a controlled environment. I had to have AOW before I was admitted to that class.

I felt that I had all of the knowledge I needed at that point and that experience was more valuable to me from then on. And it is that experience that has benefited me the most, with the exception of OW and Rescue. I only know where two of my cards are: Deep and Rescue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom