Caribbean Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually I think by law you have to do a mandatory orientation dive with whichever dive company you go with. I do know you have to pay a marine life park fee in Bonaire as the whole island is a marine sanctuary. From my understanding the shore diving is really easy their also. Kind of like walking in to your bath tub I guess. Well close anyway. I'll know for sure in September when I go and see for myself though. I know Toucan has it's own little reef right by it's shop at the Plaza Resort and I think Buddies has their own reef also. Either of those two would probably be a safe choice for easy shore dives right by the dive shops.

I'm sure Natasha might chime in here soon she has extensive knowledge of Bonaire. :)

For just about anything you might want to know about Bonaire, check out the Bonaire Talk message board.

And for package deals on airfare/hotel/diving/etc. there are two travel agencies that specialize in Bonaire. The only one I have a link for is Bonaire Pros but ask around for the other one.

Good luck!

Chris

Originally posted by MissAmberDiva
Don't count out Hawaii. There's plenty of things to do. You don't have to worry about the water and food being safe to eat and drink. The diving is good. Sightseeing is good. It's not too expensive, either. I saw an ad in my Sunday paper last week that was for 7 days in Hawaii and 2 in Las Vegas, air and hotel for about $600 per person. That's pretty good, I think. There are several islands in Hawaii to stay at. Oahu is very touristy, the others are more quiet. There's a lot to see and do.
-Amber

I highly doubt you'll come even close to yoiur budget in Hawaii. Even if you do find a place for $600/week, when you add in the cost of diving there, it will be way to expensive - especially for what you get. Hawaii is WAY WAY overpriced.

You can do Bonaire for $1000/ 2 weeks. Thats the only place I could find in the carribbean. However, for non divers its probably not great. Not too much for nice beaches, or a happening night life.

Another place, although not in the carribbean, is Bali. Its cheap, good diving, and plenty for non-diver's to do.

Darryl

I would suggest that you have been assigned an impossible task, trying to meet the potentially conflicting needs of divers and non-divers on a $71 pp/day budget ($1000/14 days). Even if it were all divers, I would have thought $71 pp/day quite hard to find; although I did see yesterday an all-inclusive (food & diving combination package of Utila Lodge for 1 wk and then CocoView for 1 wk, with air from Houston and inter-island transfer, for only $1,045 - an unbelievable value!! (the information at http://www.roatan.com/rates/Honduras/UTL_rates.htm
if you are interested). But your non-divers would probably be less than pleased!

You might try to find a three-bedroom rental vacation apartment on Bonaire, renting a car and gear for shore diving around the area, and doing some eating in to make your budgets work.
Some ocean front resorts offer condominium-style or villa units with kitchenettes for larger groups, families, and those who want to economize a little by cooking their own meals.

Let us know what you find. There are, no doubt, any number of ScubaBoard participants who would quickly plunk down $1,000 for two weeks of Carribean UW bliss!

The marine park fee for Bonaire is $15 per person/per year. And yes, you are required to do a checkout dive where every you go on the Island. Since it's all a marine preserve, even the house reefs are in good shape. Usually the only "fee" you'll be required to pay will be to rent a tank there. :wink:

Shore diving can be as difficult or as easy as you want it to be. IOW, you can have easy entries (Buddy's Dock) or harder ones (Oil Slick Leap). And the profile is very easy; a gentle slope of incredible u/w flora & fauna down to about 110' or so, at which point it's just sand. Deeper in some areas, shallower in others. At the South end of the Island there is also a double reef.

Some other points about Bonaire shore diving:
-you drive around until you find a yellow rock with a name on it. This is a dive site!
- you need good sturdy dive booties. Most of the time you have to walk over some coral marl to get to the water & flimsy soft-soled booties won't protect your feet.

There are some things you will have to learn about shore diving, such as how to assess entry/exit points and how to actually do a surf entry and exit, but eventually this will all be 2nd nature.

Glad that the recommendation worked out! :) If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by dvleemin

Another place, although not in the carribbean, is Bali. Its cheap, good diving, and plenty for non-diver's to do.

If Bali is cheap to you, then tell me who your travel agent is. We priced Bali last summer and there was no way we were gonna be able to go there. We ended up in St. Lucia, but Hawaii would've been less expensive.
Amber

Rebharrob,

Just back from the Dominican Republic..... the entire eastern coast line is filled will resorts, many sound like what you are looking for. There mostly all in-clusives. All price ranges!
Diving on the eastern coast is not the best on the island,(Punta Cana area) but a short drive north or south you get into some good stuff.
We spent 12 nights at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace and I would not hesitate to suggest it.
We drove down to the southern coast and dove at Catalina Island and it was fantastic.
Check it out!
Phil

Originally posted by MissAmberDiva If Bali is cheap to you, then tell me who your travel agent is. We priced Bali last summer and there was no way we were gonna be able to go there. We ended up in St. Lucia, but Hawaii would've been less expensive.
Amber [/B]

I had no problem finding good deals to Bali. Decided to go to Bonaire this September instead, but it wasn't because of cost. While it depended on exactly how much diving you did, it worked out to about $2500CDN (about $1500 US) per person, with airfare from Edmonton, AB. One thing though is that you have to get a charter flight, or airfare would be too expensive.

Darryl

Reharrop:
So what have you decided? Find anything yet?
My favorite places to dive are Bonaire and Cozumel. I have a list of things non divers can do in both places.
If you need more help, post it here.

:sunny:

You might want to look into the Cancun or Playa Del Carmen area. You can take the ferry over to Coz f/ the day. Divers get to see the great reefs & non-divers...well they can shop, eat, - do what ever non-divers do. Back on the Cancun/Playa side you'll also have cenotes to dive-very cool. Tons of beautiful beaches & nite life too. All types of accom. as well. From very ritzy all-inclusives to small hotels. Cabanas on the beach, to camping at $10 per night. You'll also be able to tour the ruins, go to Xel-Ha, tour the cave Actu-Chen (sp?) Lots of shopping in both Playa & Cancun too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom