Caribbean Maps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the tip on ocean explorers on st martin. i have been in contact with the dive shop at divi little bay, they seem nice and i will give them a shot at a 2 tank reef / wreck morning dive. as you noted, i am travelling with 2 others who find snorkelling with life jackets scary so i expect 3 dive periods will be all that i can hope for. the winair flight to saba sounds great, i heard that the landing at saba is something to remember. i doubt if i can convince the 2 ladies in my "party" to "tread water" while i dive in saba (this time) but i will be back soon enough. next year i have 2 weeks in antigua and will do some diving (and island hopping) then. i will let you know how my dives in st martin go but they will have to be special to outdo the lovely creatures at orient beach. moe, larry, CHEESE.......

scorpionfish once bubbled...

Were you on the French side of the island? If so, it is a sad day for gawkers! If not, well, Dutch paunch has been well known since the days when Burghers of Holland ruled the planet.

Scorpionfish

Scorpionfish - but of course the French side! Orient Beach to be exact. Not too far up from Pedro's. No Burgher-meisters either - mostly French. No gawking on this trip. Much older crowd. Even my husband was not impressed and he (typical male) likes to sneak a peek once in a while. Struck me as funny, saw a lot of NYFD baseball caps on the Orient beach crowd. (Sorry Slowe - hope you see better sights then we did.) Friars Beach had a much younger, prettier/buffer but fully clothed crowd.

Slowe - bring your snorkel gear to Orient. There is a reef/rock formation that runs almost on to beach. Just inside the section that is fully optional, park outside Pedro's, walk to the beach, turn right walk about 75 feet. Your non-diving party can stand in waist deep water and check out the fishies. Bring them some crackers and you will have friends for life! If you snorkel out along the reef, beyond the moored platform the bottom flattens out and you can usually find some larger fish and rays.

Scorpoin - You've been out with Big Mike before I take it? Calling him a character is a gross understatement! I adore him, always have the best time, very relaxed, great bottom time. Do you stay on Saba? If so, where? We have never stayed over, usually just do day trips. Want to do a full week. Hopefully Saba will remain the Unspoiled Queen. I find very few people (even divers) have ever heard of it and many maps do not even label it.

Linda

Jersey once bubbled...

Scorpion - You've been out with Big Mike before I take it? Calling him a character is a gross understatement! I adore him, always have the best time, very relaxed, great bottom time. Do you stay on Saba? If so, where? We have never stayed over, usually just do day trips. Want to do a full week. Hopefully Saba will remain the Unspoiled Queen.
Linda

Jersey,

Yep, I have done the Deep with Big Mike--even fed his dog!

As to where to stay, there are some very nice places on Saba, but for me, Juliana's is home. Juliana and her husband, Franklin, are the warmest people and make you feel right at home. Vanessa, in the office, goes out of her way to be helpful. The accommodations, while not luxurious, are comfortable, immaculately clean and plenty spacious. And her flowers are spectacular. Juliana's "cottages" are up on the Windward Side, home to several good restaurants, and the perfect jumping off place to climb legendary Mt. Scenary.

Mon Dieu! Middle age paunch on the French Side! I guess St. Maarten has become the "Spoiled King"!

Scorpionfish

thanks once again, Jersey

I and the twins will be sure to check out that location

Back
Top Bottom