Carpe Vita Explorer ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob, it's definitely a possibility! :) Do you have any good information about the kinds of currents we might encounter? I'm a bit nervous after reading somany accounts on SB and other publications and just want to be better prepared if possible. My DH and I are, still what I consider, fairly new divers with only 50+ dives. They include Cozumel, Costa Maya, Bonaire, Aruba, St. Thomas, Roatan & Dominica in the Caribbean. Since we're now living in Angola, Africa, we've had the opportunity to dive in the Quirimbas and Bazaruto archipelagos in Mozambique. The dive conditions in early June of this year weren't ideal with low viz and decent current in Vilanculos, Mozambique. We received our advanced certification while we were there. When you start reading posts about needing reef hooks, I wonder what I might be getting into! Any insights or advice is greatly appreciated.
Marcia

Bob, it's definitely a possibility! :) Do you have any good information about the kinds of currents we might encounter? I'm a bit nervous after reading somany accounts on SB and other publications and just want to be better prepared if possible. My DH and I are, still what I consider, fairly new divers with only 50+ dives. They include Cozumel, Costa Maya, Bonaire, Aruba, St. Thomas, Roatan & Dominica in the Caribbean. Since we're now living in Angola, Africa, we've had the opportunity to dive in the Quirimbas and Bazaruto archipelagos in Mozambique. The dive conditions in early June of this year weren't ideal with low viz and decent current in Vilanculos, Mozambique. We received our advanced certification while we were there. When you start reading posts about needing reef hooks, I wonder what I might be getting into! Any insights or advice is greatly appreciated.
Marcia

I haven't yet been there, so I really can't answer your question. But it sounds like you've got some pretty well-rounded exposure. And for the most part I think the dives with current will be drift dives ... which are generally not terribly difficult. The couple I typically travel with are not what you'd call "strong" divers ... although experienced, one is a cancer survivor who has never fully recovered her strength. And yet she was easily able to handle the currents in Komodo, which at some sites were quite strong. A great deal depends on listening carefully to the dive guide's instructions and paying attention ... turning the dive when appropriate to shelter from the worst of it. Do that and I think you'll be fine.

Looking forward to being there ... and seriously hoping for a whale shark sighting (it would be my first) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for your insight. We're hoping for mantas and our first whale shark as well! Also hoping we enjoy live aboard life. :D.

I just returned from an excellent 10 days on Carpe Vita Explorer. If any of you who are heading off there soon have any specific questions - do post them & i'll do my best to help.

Great rooms, great food, great crew, great diving!

Alas, back to work tomorrow!

For those of you who've been aboard the Carpe Vita ... what should I plan to bring for electrical adapters? Pretty much all of my electrical appliances are 120V/240V and 50/60Hz ... so they'll handle the power OK ... but what sort (shape?) plug is used on board? If I need to bring them with me, this would be handy information to know in advance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom