Carpenter's Union getting in on Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Huh?

huffpost:
union carpenter welded steel plate

I thought carpenters worked on wood or made music...

Diving isn't a big enough industry to support it's own union. Carpentry is a "construction" trade so it isn't that weird for them to represent divers in different areas of the US.

Huh?

Yes. One would think: SteelWorkers, IronWorkers, hell even the PipeFitters before the carpenters.

The historical guild aspect of unions is structurally gone. They have become, like many large advocacy organizations, essentially corporations which provide management of interest-group "issues." The big legacy unions have become adept at expanding their market share into other not-particularly-related labor segments whenever opportunity arises.

Yes. One would think: SteelWorkers, IronWorkers, hell even the PipeFitters before the carpenters.

Think back to the first half of the last century when most unions in the US formed. Construction contracts for piers and wharf facilities dominated, which largely employed carpenters.

Sandhogs (piers, pilings, etc) are part of the laborer's union. I think whoever claims it first gets jurisdiction. But yeah, it would seem like local 40 or steel trades would claim that.

When I practiced up in Illinois, the local public defender's office were all union. Teamsters, for all the sense that makes.

The historical guild aspect of unions is structurally gone. They have become, like many large advocacy organizations, essentially corporations which provide management of interest-group "issues." The big legacy unions have become adept at expanding their market share into other not-particularly-related labor segments whenever opportunity arises.
As a 27 year union carpenter, I am elated that the union expands their market share into other areas. The days of a carpenter strictly stick framing homes or making cabinets have been gone for a long time. Diversification is key to survive in a ever evolving anti-union world.

Up here in Alaska the piledrivers, dock and bridgebuilders, and divers local 2520 represents those interests. They are affiliated with th the NW Regional Council of Carpenters.

Back in the stone age, I worked on the St Lucie unit II nuclear plant. I was a member of the millwrights union. but the iron workers also had divers, as did the riggers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom