Carry-on Or Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddha64

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I could use some advice here. I'm getting my kit together for my DSLR Olympus and need to buy a bag. I have an Ikelite housing w/dome port and a DS-160 strobe. I'll be flying to Bonaire and Florida this year.

What should I do with the camera equipment? Get a small carry on case and try and make it fit? Or get a larger case and check it and be worried about my equipment the whole flight?

What would/do you folks do?

George.

Last edited:
I travel with 3 rigs, mine, my wife's and a backup, so I use a Pelican case check it and worry the whole flight. Not my first choice but you have to worry about something. Akona makes a soft side camera carry on bag that would fit your needs but now you will be worrying about your regulator and BC.

Check out ThinkTank. We use their bags. Mine has Subal housing, 2 Canon 40D/5D bodies, two ports, strobe cables and two lenses. Carry it all on. I can rent scuba gear if my regulator doesn't arrive but renting a camera is much trickier.
Bill

Check out ThinkTank. We use their bags. Mine has Subal housing, 2 Canon 40D/5D bodies, two ports, strobe cables and two lenses. Carry it all on. I can rent scuba gear if my regulator doesn't arrive but renting a camera is much trickier.
Bill

Kind of what I was thinking. Right now I have one that checks and one that carries. I was actually leaning towards using the Pelican 1510 case. It's slightly smaller that the Thinktank (I just checked) and about the same weight. But with an Ikelite housing for the DSLR it's a real tight fit. Still up in the air about what to do.

George.

I think part of the depends upon where you are going, and the likely hood of your bag getting lost/delayed. When I fly non-stop direct, I don't worry so much about luggage getting lost. If you are making transfers, than that is more of a possibility.

To date, I carry on my camera, and check my housing. But all the travel I have done has been using direct non-stop flights. I use a pelican case, and put it inside a soft bag.

I carry on a camera backpack with the majority of my camera equipment in that. However none of my diving camera equipment.

I check most of my dive gear. But I tend to carry on things that are heavy which is why I generally carry on lenses, and regs, and check things like my housing. And there in lies maybe a bigger question, how best to pack all your stuff, and stay under the 50lbs limit, and bag number limitation. Most flights now are charging $25 for the second bag, and some are charging that for each bag each way.

I find it difficult to travel with dive gear, camera gear, and UW photo gear. I can do it, but I use two 50lbs bags, and a heavy carry on to accomplish that. If I travel with my family (most of the time) we often have four bags between three of us, so not such an problem. When traveling alone, bringing all my equipment is not even possible, and I must leave some lenses behind.

Insure all your gear, and there is a bit less worry. However if my housing went missing, it would mean I would not be doing any UW photography. I seriously doubt most locations rent housings for a D200, but maybe a few! :D

I use a lowepro backpack with a slot for the laptop. All my camera stuff, lenses, regulators etc go in there. By the time I'm done it probably weighs 50lbs. I then have a pelican 1510 carryon. My housing, 1 port and strobes, strobe arms and tray go in here. Their are some larger hardcases that will still fit in the bins but I'm sure its only time before they start carrying measuring devices in the US. I pack all my dive gear in 1 big suitcase and it tops out at 50lbs. I do a lot of solo travel and its a pain but the luggage carts in the airport make life a little easier.

I use a lowepro backpack with a slot for the laptop. All my camera stuff, lenses, regulators etc go in there. By the time I'm done it probably weighs 50lbs. I then have a pelican 1510 carryon. My housing, 1 port and strobes, strobe arms and tray go in here. Their are some larger hardcases that will still fit in the bins but I'm sure its only time before they start carrying measuring devices in the US. I pack all my dive gear in 1 big suitcase and it tops out at 50lbs. I do a lot of solo travel and its a pain but the luggage carts in the airport make life a little easier.

Now there's a thought. I'd have to check my CPAP machine, I think, But if it gets delayed my dive partner will be the only one who suffers :D

I'll have to lay this one out and see how it works. My main concern was flights with layovers. About half the trips I go on have them so I might as well plan all trips as if they layover. Plus I figure I can rent any scuba equipment. The reason I go on these is for the photography and if my camera equipment is lost I wouldn't have half the fun I usually do.

George.

When I flew for my Key Largo trip last year, I had my camera, housing and strobes all in a Akona bag that I carried on. The Akona bag has backpack type straps so you can carry it on as a backpack. Just makes it under the allowable size. I had my reg and computer in my hand carry I kept at my seat. The only thing I had in my checked luggage was my dome port for the wide angle lens plus all the rest of my dive gear. The airlines don't make it easy for you.

I hand carry all my camera gear and housing. As I usually travel with my partner (dive buddy or wife), I max things out as much as I can. If I am limited to just one bag, I bring enough to ensure a macro or WA camera rig and check the rest (with the exception of lenses). I handcarry stuff in the lightest Samsonite 4 wheeled bag I could find. It looks effortless to move around and weighs less than normal carry ons (in case I get checked).

Here is my take on things.... If they lose my dive bag or it comes late, I can always rent....even a Reg can be rented. If they lose my camera gear, even if insured, my trip is ruined as I can't rent stuff like that! No insurance is going to cover not having your camera for the trip if you bags are just late (missed connections, etc).

We became dealers for the Think Tank line last summer and it was the best thing Ive ever done. Their bags are extremely durable, and inconspicuous. I can put an entire DSLR system (depending on the components) in either just the Airport Acceleration backpack, or that plus the Urban Disguise 60 if using a large dome port. Now I can travel with my video rig checked in, but have the peace of mind that at least my SLR rig will be there when I get there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom