Carrying Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a UK C8 light I haven't used yet, and I'm wondering how I'm gonna carry that thing during beach dives. I was gonna take it on my last dive for grins, but when I was gearing up I was trying to figure out how to carry it and gave up.

Anyone?

Jim, if it were me I would use a wrist lanyard... but also have a SS boltsnap ziptied to the handle so that I could clip it off onto a D-ring when not in use.

Are you going to be using it for night dives or are you planning on carrying it during the day time to look into holes and other dark spots?

I find a small Q40 works well for looking at critters.

Before going cannister, I put a SS boltsnap on mine as UP suggested. I just clipped it off on my right shoulder d-ring. I didn't like the way it hung down when stowed though. For that reason, I ended up only using it at night when it was in my hand the whole time except for entry and exit. I agree with UP on using a smaller back up light for looking in small places during the day.

The beam on the C8 is so wide it's kinda worthless during the day. An SL4 is pretty handy and much easier to carry.

Thanks for the info on day vs. night. Didn't know that. I've also got an SL4 as a backup, so I'll use that. I didn't want to attach the C8 somewhere loose so it could swing up and bean me in the noggin when I'm fighting the surf. Guess you're right, I could boltsnap it to a lower d-ring. Now that I know what a boltsnap is.

So that's what they call those things....

I had the same coil lanyard on my 'gun' light for a while. I found it too long when clipped off, but I have a short upper torso. When the light was clipped off and I was horiz, it hung too low away from the body for me. Otherwise, it's a great product.

I have a Pelican C8 which I only use on night dives, I attach it to my BCD with a Saekodive coil lanyard, but basically only use that when I need my hands for something else, otherwise the light is almost always in my hand (not least because of the way it tends to float with the beam shining right into my face giving me a suntan on the back of my eyeballs).

I use an UK SL4 as backup for night dives but it is more than bright enough for peering into holes and stuff. My Q40 works pretty well during the day too, and is less bulky than the SL4 (and you can use AA rechargeables to help the environment :) ). Both these lights can be easily put into your BCD pocket for surf entries and exits, thus protecting your noggin from flashlight related injuries.

mempilot:
I had the same coil lanyard on my 'gun' light for a while. I found it too long when clipped off, but I have a short upper torso. When the light was clipped off and I was horiz, it hung too low away from the body for me. Otherwise, it's a great product.

Good point. If it is unclipped it can hang low. Just need to be cognizant of your task, light and your hand. Remember to clip it before a surf exit or a ladder climb, preferably no later than the safety stop.

btw: I still haven't found a better solution than the coil lanyard

Uncle Pug:
I find a small Q40 works well for looking at critters.

Ditto, I found the Q40 adequate for day dives. You can attach it to a retractor, clip it or stick it in your BC pocket. Or, attach it to your mask, it comes stock with that attachment. Lots of options.

Back
Top Bottom