Casa del Mar vs. Scuba Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm booked with CDM in November and I e-mailed them to get the price for breakfast included, it was $5.50 a day.
Well worth it! Very nice breakfast, unless they've changed - which I doubt. The AI option is a consideration, and I am too lazy to go to town some nights, but still - I think maybe not, depending on price.

SCC looks like a nice place, good location. Hoping to stay there, but a little pricey compared to Blue Angel, where I just stayed. Do you know if they do packages that don't include dinner? I would rather eat dinner around town...

Yes, they offer what they call thier 'light plan', it is without the meals. Somewhere earlier in this thread someone broke down the savings........seems it was minimal.

the Lite Plan is breakfast and lunch only. We saw that a few people did this when we were there but they were big partiers, wanted to do the downtown scene each night. They were the same people we saw falling down drunk at 8pm one night. I dont' know if anyone else there was doing the Lite Plan, we seemed to see the same groups at dinner each night. :D

We decided to go ahead with the full Meal Plan and go downtown if we wanted... turned out the food was so good we never did go downtown, plus we wanted to do night shore dives a few nights so it was just more convienent to stay there and eat. If you do want to go downtown a few nights, I would still do the full Meal Plan. Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

Well worth it! Very nice breakfast, unless they've changed - which I doubt. The AI option is a consideration, and I am too lazy to go to town some nights, but still - I think maybe not, depending on price.

Yeah, we're gonna opt in for the breakfast plan. We'll probably stock up with some other stuff at Mega for lunch and hit the town for dinner. There are a couple of restaurants within easy walking distance to CDM, are there not?

Yeah, we're gonna opt in for the breakfast plan. We'll probably stock up with some other stuff at Mega for lunch and hit the town for dinner. There are a couple of restaurants within easy walking distance to CDM, are there not?
Not that I know off, at least not what I'd call an easy walk. But anyplace in town is only $4-5 each way by cab.

I did the AI meal plan with a group there in 2007 as the group leader wanted to keep everyone on property for meals rather than organizing group trips into town, and it got pretty old after 3 days. I see on this Meal plan, Hotel Casa del Mar Cozumel, Mexico. that they've gone up to $39/night for the AI, shrimp and lobster extra $15, so I think you might be better off...
Adding the $5.50 breakfast buffet as it was really nice last time I was there;

A light lunch; then go into town for dinner.​
I do not remember fridges in the rooms; don't think they had those.

Did you get the Cando map? Great planning and orientation tool.

But let us know what you learn ok...?

Not that I know off, at least not what I'd call an easy walk. But anyplace in town is only $4-5 each way by cab. QUOTE]

Don-

You wouldn't consider Hogtown Cafe, La Hach and La Palapita within walking distance? I walked from Villablanca to CDM/Park Royal and I'd guesstimate it took me 5 minutes. I think Ernesto's Fajita Factory is also across the street from CDM/Park Royal.

Not that I know off, at least not what I'd call an easy walk. But anyplace in town is only $4-5 each way by cab. QUOTE]

Don-

You wouldn't consider Hogtown Cafe, La Hach and La Palapita within walking distance? I walked from Villablanca to CDM/Park Royal and I'd guesstimate it took me 5 minutes. I think Ernesto's Fajita Factory is also across the street from CDM/Park Royal.

I just got back from staying at CDM and we had lunch a few days at La Hatch which was great. They have shrimp and chicken tacos that cost $6 which are excellent and the beers are $2. Can't beat that after a day of divng. It is located across the street from Papa Hogs and is just a few minutes away from CDM by foot.

Don-

I guess I should say that I have not explored those, and I am lazy about walking 1/4 miles. I'll know more in 2-1/2 months after staying at VB for a week. Thanks

We have been diving with Del Mar Aquatics about 99% of the time. One day during Nov/Dec 2008 the port was closed and we had the concierge at CDM hunt down someone going out that day on a boat.. found the dive op over by Fiesta Americana was going out and went with them that 1 time.. Other than that, I always use Del Mar Aquatics.. I have never been bumped and have been diving with them since 2007, my wife since 1994. Their videographer, Ceasar, is top notch and doesnt charge you to come along. He videos and later presents the video at CDM dining area where you can choose to purchase or not.

We have stayed a couple of times at CDM and we really enjoyed it. When we stay at a hotel, we dont do all inclusive and prefer to drive into town to eat at random locations.

Now that the kids are all certified, hotels dont cut it for us and we do house rentals. We still dive with Del Mar Aquatics and they come and pick us up every morning and even bring along extra tanks if we want to shore dive. We just request what we need and they have never given us a hard time or anything.. Always a pleasure to dive with them and they often let majority rule the boat so when you show up as a group you can choose where they dive that day.. (which is good since I hate diving the C53 or whatever the boat is)..

If they know you and see you are skilled, you can get them to take you just about anywhere.

For a diver and his family that like to be catered to while on our dive vacation, there is nothing better.

I will add that shore diving in front of Casa Del Mar is great! A wide array of sealife to check out nearby.

Last edited:
(which is good since I hate diving the C53 or whatever the boat is)..

The C53 is not that bad. You just spend the first ten minutes there and hope for a barracuda feeding frenzy and then take the short swim to the Reef which was full of marine life. Not bad for the second dive of the day. I would not like it either if you had to spend the whole dive there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom