Casa Del Mar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took two 9 day dive trips to Cozumel this year, one in May, one in August. The first one was at El Cid La Cieba and we dove with Del Mar Aquatics. The second trip 3 months later I stayed at Casa Del Mar and dove with Dive with Martin. I'd never dive with Del Mar Aquatics again, and would highly recommend Dive with Martin. I'd stay at Casa Del Mar over El Cid La Cieba even if it cost more which it did not! I had no major problems at either place except broken down elevators at El Cid La Cieba. Casa del Mar is great for the money, Dive with Martin is awesome for the money. Both hotels are acceptable, both dive op's are not.

We just got back from one week in Coz. and used an guy named Tony Anschutz who runs Scubatony. He could not have been more helpful. Our two children, 12 & 13, really took to scuba. We were all certified here at home in Ohio and so this was our first dive outside of the cold water of our local quarry. Our plan was for my son and i to dive poss. 3 or 4 days and my wife and my daughter to join us on three of the days. As it turned out, everyone liked the diving so much that my son an i did 6 2-tank dives plus a night dive and my wife and daughter dove 4 2-tank dive plus the night dive.

I think what made the difference for us was the dive operater we found. The dive outfit is called "Scubatony" and it is run by a former cop from LA who moved to Coz because he loved diving and instructing. He was great to deal with. The first night we met him he gave us a cell phone and told us that anything we needed anytime, he was just a phone call away. He specializes in small groups and he told us that he had a boat for us all week and that he was at our disposal to dive as much or as little as we wanted.

We were picked up at the dock of the hotel at nine the next moring and as promised we were his only customers that day and all the rest of the week. Over the course of the week we hit all of the sites, including some deep wall dive to 100' with the kids who absolutely loved the whole scuba thing, and took to Tony from the start.

Tony also helped us with SI time like places to see and go as well as places to avoid...

All in all it was without question the best vacation we have ever taken, due in no small measure to Tony and the individualized attention he gave us. His prices were in line with all the other dive ops. His service was outstanding, he loves what he does and it shows. When we go back we will go back to Tony without question.

You can find out more about Tony at www.scubatony.com .

I'd be happy to share any other info if anyone would like more...

Rooster1:
I have been at Casa Del Mar a couple of times before and I really like the location and the hotel. I have been in various hotels in Coz but find that the value you get here is so well worth it. I don't do all inclusives and I don't like to stay north of town or too close for that matter. Last year we stayed at hotel Cozumel resort and plaza las glorious and while I really liked both those hotels as well as others, I still like the value you get at Casa Del Mar and it is a smaller cozier hotel. I would not personally dive with Del Mar Aquatics (on site dive operation) mainly because I stay away from cattle boats. But some folks love being on big dive boats with lots of divers, if you are one then all is good.
I dove with Del Mar Aq's last march. They were fine with me but my local dive group hired 1 boat exclusively for the entire week. We had the same DM's and we set the standards real quick on what we expected. The first day of diving the DM was somewhat lax and didn't seem to care too much. Our trip leader spoke with management and we had a new DM the next day who we was with us for the rest of the week. He was excellent. I'm going again in 2 weeks. I also stayed in the hotel and the showers etc were fine. Beds were hard but that's what I expect in Mexico.

We are thinking about staying at Casa Del Mar to save some money. Are there places to eat near there without going in to town (especially for lunch)? Just looking to see what others thought of the hotel.

We would be diving with another dive op.

Thanks! :)

We stay at Casa Del Mar. We book through Worry Free Vacations.Com . Very good food. Accomodations could be better, But for the money we spend. Usually around 1200.00 for both my fiance and I. I just cant complain. That is airfair and hotel for 7 nights and 8 days out of Dallas. Very basc motel. But we are there to dive and have fun. I compare it to Motel 6. Clean and comfortable. If things dont work, Just ask and you will get another room. We have been goin there for 5 years. We dive with Papa Hogs. Soo I cannot reply about their dive operation. But everyone is different about there vacation. Just my two cents worth.

Dadgummit I forgot.Tthey have a meal and drink plan now. About 250.00 more. Just looked , Flight, motel and food. Including beverages. 1303.00 Out of Dallas for two people. Diving not included.

The Motel 6 with Palm Trees is Casa del Mar's nickname (to some of us). I've stayed there about 4 or 5 times; I like the value as it is in a Funjet package, about $500-$600 per person or so is about right for air/hotel package from DFW. Had problems with the hot water one time for about 2 days over a weekend, they finally got it fixed.

I usually book a standard room (no balcony) then when I get there I ask for an upgrade to an ocean view (with balcony). Be aware that there is no elevator, just stairs. Wasn't a problem for me.

Hotel breakfast buffet is O.K., but usually go to town for dinner. The last few times the breakfast was included in the package trip for no charge, I think.

Hard beds? What would Coz. be without them. :D Go to Chedraui's and get a cheap egg crate pad for the bed if you find the beds too hard then forget to take it home with you.

I've dove with Del Mar Aquatics before but haven't used them again. Can't remember why but there must be a reason. And I believe they were using fast boats when I dove with them, only been on cattle boats in Caymans and the Gulf.

I think Chedrau makes a killing on egg crates, due to the hard beds. All part of the Cozumel experience. Oh well. Some island resident gets one free. Hmmmm, the price we pay to dive there.

Directly across the street from Casa del Mar is a terrific dive op, Roberta's Eco-Dive Cozumel, aka scubashack, and more recently, they own blue bubble divers. This would probably be your best bet for a small, personable dive op in the immediate vicinity. When I go to Cozumel, I dive with them and stay at a little bed and breakfast immediately next to Casa del Mar called Village Tankah. It's really quiet, no TVS or phones, definitely my style. I'm certain you'd be really happy diving with Roberta's op. As far as restaurants right in the area, Ernestos is okay; decent fajitas, a little pricey. For a good cheap lunch, there's a guy with a sandwich (torta) truck that parks right near the pier a couple of hundred yards down the street.

It's about a 20-30 minute walk into town, not a great walk due to the traffic, but fine if you have the time. Lately I've taken to renting a mountain bike for the time I'm there. Since I like good coffee, I make a lot of trips into town, and the bike rental more than pays for itself after a few days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom