Catalina diving in spring/summer 5mm or 7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The times I have been to Catalina it was late July or August when the water temp was 64-65 degs. I wore a 7 mm full with 5 mm hooded vest and 5 mm gloves.

Thanks for all the replys. I'm new to this coast thinking about getting an xcel polar or bare 8/7 after reading everyones post i may grab oniels j type. I was just concerned it would be to bulky and overkill.

Temperatures here can be quite variable week-to-week and year-to-year. Current temps are unseasonally warm (I had 58 F as my minimum temp last weekend although the dive was only to 45 fsw. Hard to recommend what YOU should use, but if I'm diving 3-4 dives and filming, I stick to a 7/5mm

This time of year I'm in my 7 mil hooded wetsuit plus a 4 mil wetsuit top underneath. 5 mil gloves. This combo has been keeping me warm in 50-53 degrees for 1.25-1.5 hour dives, but I don't move much so get cold easily. Finally got a drysuit for the occasional boat days and love it. Go with the 7mm and you'll be set.

When I dove a wet suit it was a 7/8 mil. I don't remember when the last time I dove wet. I guess I need to buy a wetsuit one day as a back up suit. Dry and never looked back.

Years ago before I started filming, I'd switch to a 3/2mm fullsuit or a 3mm shortie when temps rose to 65 F in May or June. Then when I started filming I noticed the camera shake! Went to the 7/5mm.

We've had surface temps as high as 79 F (77 F last summer) which I consider downright toasty. When temps are in the lower 70s and I plan on doing a single night dive, I will usually wear my 3/2mm fullsuit.

I dive 7mm one piece suit year round, though I think that with the summer water of Catalina Island that can run up to mid or even high 60s, a 5mm is do-able.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom